Accident on Hood 12-11-09

justinp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best wishes for healing and condolences to the affected families. I am truly sorry for your loss. I never knew these climbers personally, but they clearly shared the passion of so many on this forum, and led a life of sharing and service for others as well.

To fellow CCers: Thanks for keeping this thread respectful and free of speculation.

A note to the media:

Here's a link to the position of Portland Mountain Rescue on:

1) Why climbers should NOT be mandated to carry "rescue beacons"

2) Why climber should NOT be charged for rescue costs

http://www.pmru.org/pressroom/headlines/20091213PMRStatementRegardingMissions.html

Luke,

You were a good, selfless, loving and Christlike friend. Thank you for inspiring me to climb harder and farther than I otherwise would. I saw the love of Jesus pervade your live and impact how you treated everyone you knew.

You will be missed dearly.

Scott,

you, your sister and father are in our prayers.

Edited by thatcher

I spent awhile weeding out the MLU/PLB debate out of this thread, it's just not appropriate here. I moved those posts to the New Poll thread which you will find here. It's a valid subject, I just don't want to see it intermingled with this thread.

To my regret, I'd never met Luke, but have always enjoyed his TR's. All my best to everyone touched by this event.

For some reason this got moved to another thread so I'll try a repost here..

For Anthony, Katie, Luke and all friends and family:

We are now - Im told

for you supposed to grieve

yet because of what you've done indeed

the gifts you gave

we might find this a little strange

We know you don't demand

that all should understand

that all could be so fortunate

to have lived your beautiful life

and taken into hand

such moments which so inspired

and through you others too

such deep appreciation

such a deep sense of gratitude

for this precious life we have

we know, you just had to share

far more than a want

it was your need to care

to give to others what you have felt

where you've stood

what you have seen

in those distant valleys

from these tallest peaks

You would not trade

though for some it's hard to understand

even a whole life of security

for but a single moment

of the timeless silent beauty

nor this - the simple peaceful heart

of a climber

who has known and touched

just a bit of eternity

PS- From one climber to all others

thank you for inspiring and showing the way

Climb on..

D

With the search suspended, I hope the missing 2 are still with us. dug in and waiting it out and trying to keep warm. I hope they make it off the mountain and perhaps defy the odds. People have survived against all odds and hope many times before. I would hope this becomes a great humin interest story. I HOPE.

I knew Luke. He was a great guy who truly loved the outdoors. His avatar here was ___________. It looks like the bandwidth quota on his pics has been exceeded--does anyone know how to fix that? It'd be great if his TRs remained readable.

Edited by jon

Accidents on big hills tend to involve aircraft which tend to draw the media in. Hood and Rainier are also next to large populations. Further climbers are seen as thrill seekers while BillyBob who get lost picking mushrooms is just some poor sap.

Oddly enough the one some what major rescue that I was involved in on Denali in the early 90s drew media interest a week afterwards. This rescue was one of the easiest rescues done that year, there was no search, no bad weather, no deaths, just my partner who was lost a fight with a collapsing serac and a crevasse. In fact, I think the total time from the accident happening to landing at Anchorage Hospital was less than 8 hours. But like most rescues on Denali it involved a helicopter. In this case a short haul - wee flying under the bird is way more fun than inside but I digress. Anywho a week later a paper was calling for an interview. I had little to say as I was embarrassed about having to make the call - but I had no choice.