Accident on Hood 12-11-09

justinp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to report that Luke Gullberg, of Des Moines (WA) was killed on Mount Hood earlier today. Two others that were climbing with him are missing.

I believe the route was the Reid headwall.

I've climbed with Luke, and one of the others, on other peaks in the Northwest. He is a very competent climber, and has turned away from summits before if anything is questionable.

Let's keep his family in our prayers.

Really sad news and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends. I hope they find the other two and hold out hope that they are working their way down and will end up coming out on Highway 26 or are in a snow cave right now. They seemed to have stellar conditions when they went out. Freak accidents can happen anytime and any place. Be safe out there fellow cc'ers.

I remember spending a cold winter's night on Hood many Decembers ago, so I was keeping these climbers in my thoughts. Just now I checked the news and learned of the devastating events that had taken place since I had first heard of the incident. My stomach just absolutely dropped and I cannot begin to imagine what the families are dealing with. Scott, I am so sorry to hear the news and wish you all the best in healing through this time. I pray the conditions abate a bit and the other two climers can be found in time.

Rest in peace, Luke :brew:

Climbed Hood yesterday (sat). When we were getting ready to leave in the morning 0300 a van pulled up and asked us if we were SAR. We replied no we were just climbers. He told us his friends were missing on the mountian, they hadn't return the day before. I got his # and told him we would look for sign on the way. They were intending (according to him) to climb the Sandy head wall. We saw no sign, heck we could barely see anything because of the weather. We intended to climb the Reid head wall but the weather convinced us otherwise. On the way down we ran into SAR on the Hogs back. They told us that they had found one climber (deceased). They also said that the camera they found had evidence that they were infact climbing the Reid head wall. I don't know where they found the body or his condition. It was a very sobering moment.

We are praying for the other two climbers on the mountian. From what I hear they are experienced so there is still hope.

As a member of not just our mountaineering community, but as a member of society, Luke will be missed by both those that new him and those that didn't. From what I have read, this gentleman was a "contributer". His altruistic character has been documented (although maybe inadequately?)by the media. Long live his memory by those that knew him intimately, as well as those that knew him in spirit. May you and your family be blessed and comforted by whatever god you worship.

Media-PLEASE stop calling us "hikers"!