December 11th - International Mountain Day

Jason_Martin

I've already posted this in the events forum, but the UN General Assembly has identified December 11th as International Mountain Day. The American Alpine Institute is doing a series of events (rock rescue clinics and a party) in Bellingham to celebrate the day and to raise money for Index. If you're interested in the event, click here.

But if you're not interested in the AAI event, it's still worth knowing about the International Mountain Day and trying to take some time out of your day to think about the value of mountains not just as recreation resources, but also as engines of water production and the home to many distinct mountain cultures.

Obviously as climbers we already value mountains and see what they provide. But International Mountain Day is a good time to promote the mountains and their value to your non-climber friends. It's also a good time to donate to the mountain causes that you care about, but have kept putting off...whether it's the WCC, the Access Fund, or a cultural charity for mountain people, it's just a good time to think about that stuff...

Anyway, I probably sound like an NPR fundraising drive, but I do think it's cool that there has been a day dedicated to the mountains and mountain people. I think that it's something that we all should try to embrace and promote...

What do you guys think?

Jason

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn - after every day for forty years I now only have to do this stuff on Dec. 11? What a relief...

Sorry if that sounds a bit jaded, Jason. Some of us have been at this longer than many on this board have been alive. I am, in truth, happy to see a larger population at least prepared to "talk the talk" for one day out of the year. It's a start...

-Curt

Edited by montypiton