Coulior Climbs

spotly

Steep snow is my weak area (one of them). Of course, I've "endured" if that's the way to get to the good rock :) I'd like to do a few mild to moderate coulior climbs this year to push my comfort level a little - work on that weakness. Any suggestions for some local routes? Short climbs are ok. Not looking for too much gnar and not a huge fan of gruelling snowshoe approaches. Was thinking about making the long drive to climb the Leuthold Coulior but hoping there's something closer - maybe N. Idaho or Cabinets. Any suggestions appreciated. Looking for both winter and spring routes. Domo.

P.S. I can't ski.

Edited by spotly

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no expert here, but I just did Leuthold Coulior (or the upper half of it) for the first time last weekend and found it pretty mild if you for sure want to start small/close to comfort range. though there has got to be a similar coulior closer to you than that.

no expert here, but I just did Leuthold Coulior (or the upper half of it) for the first time last weekend and found it pretty mild if you for sure want to start small/close to comfort range. though there has got to be a similar coulior closer to you than that.

Yeah, Leuthold looks like it would be about my comfort zone and I'll probably head over there if I can't find anything closer. Might just drive over to the Selkirks and poke around.

East face of Snowshoe, N face of Stevens, any of the little N faces around the St Regis basin, north side of Roothann when you don't have to ski or walk 10 miles. N Face of Chair.

Pleanty of stuff with in a short drive of Spokane. Stevens and the St Regis basin can be really fun this time of year for steep snow. Just don't get youself buried!

• 3 months later...