MEC - import duties

I'm looking at ordering a few things from MEC but I'm curious about import duties, taxes, etc. I checked the US Customs website - specifically the NAFTA section. From what I could piece together, the US and Canada should have free-trade (duty-free) as of 1998. However, on MEC's site (www.mec.ca) they still mention possible import duties, taxes, and custom processing fees. I understand that the NAFTA only applies to items FROM Canada (those manufactured in Canada, not Taiwan). So, if I buy a jacket from MEC that is made in Canada should I expect any "additional costs" other than the shipping? Any advide on this would be appreciated. Cheers.

matt

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've placed 4 orders in last 3 years to MEC from Seattle, each about CAN$800 and never was delayed or taxed. A few friends' orders experienced no hassle either.

I recommend speaking with MEC about classifying your order as a Group Order. I forget the details but I saved a little on their prices and maybe that status makes the border crossing a little nice too?

Recently (in the past year or so) MEC has stopped shipping most of their climbing gear to the States. I was told this is mainly due to US-based companies raising a stink. I have never had a problem buying gear on my trips to Vancouver and bringing it back across the border.

...For what it's worth.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:
Recently (in the past year or so) MEC has stopped shipping most of their climbing gear to the States. I was told this is mainly due to US-based companies raising a stink. I have never had a problem buying gear on my trips to Vancouver and bringing it back across the border.

...For what it's worth.

Its cuz MEC wont agree to sign a vendor agreement saying that they will sell gear for a certain minimum inflated price above what they buy it for. So they sell it all the time for basically the price you get a close out deal on. I think their markup is 22% and mostly the markup on gear is closer to 50% and 100% on clothing. So most manufacturers sell to MEC (its about 90% or so of the Canadian market, I'd guess) but include a covenant restricting MEC to only selling in Canada. The only ones who don't, generally, are Canadian manufacturers (except Arcteryx...I'm talking like Serratus, who MEC own anyways, and blurr and so on) and Euro manufactuers without a good US distributor. I bet they do the same thing to Barrabes next.

• 2 years later...

From other forums on the net, If you mail order from Canada, from the US, you have "x" amount of dollars you can import tax free.

The big "stink" arrived as of late, largely due to the

big drop between the US and CDN exchange rates.

Way back when1 CAD = 0.88 US ; Now 1 CAD = 0.65 USD (you get the idea)

Since gear was cheaper here to start with

ex: Arc'teryx bora 80 was $300 CDN, vs $300 at REI,

at 1 to 0.85 it wasn't a big deal, at 0.65 you saw mass exodus because the savings on the exchange rate and lower initial price more then made up for shipping (duties?).

A bora 80 at MEC that costs $300 CDN, is equivalent $200 USD

at an exchange rate of 1 to 1.5.

^^^So naturally, a lot of business was probably loss, but more important was the long term affects.

• 1 month later...