Oregon Pinnacles

corvallisclimb

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI for anyone interested in the Williamson Cliffs.

The Access Fund has been working with the FS to improve climber access to the cliffs. Last week we met with an AF trail crew representative and the FS and looked at options for climber access along the base of the 6 walls. So far discussions seem to be going well and we hope to have an Adopt A Crag trail day sometime next spring. This will be a big project and we'll need all the help we can get.

Edited by g orton

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone with a drill is intersted. Harold and I will be sinking bolts into the SE side of Acker Rock this Sunday. We have the Lookout rented Sunday night. FS has supplied the bolts. We will be rappelling and counting a rare buckwheat. Let me know if you are interested. Beers on me.

greg BuckWheat_wDarkrockbackgrond1.jpgPeregine_head_2.jpgMonitoring_Helliwell.jpgAcker_Matsutake.jpgS_UMPQUA.jpgBrianGilbert_GenHarmon_topcrop.jpg

Edited by g orton

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to meetings between the Forest Service and the Access Fund the 1st and 5th Walls a the Williamson Cliffs just north Klamath Falls will be reopened to climbing. We will be holding a trail day to work with he Access Funds, trail crew on September 13 and 14. Anyone who would like to help out or would like to learn more about this climbing area are encouraged to attend. greg

firstWall_Panorama2.jpgRay_Brittani1.jpg

• 3 months later...

November 29, 2013. Finding the sun at McKinley Rock. A perfect day in the sun.

RayPitch1_a_2mb.jpg

Ray Williams leading Pitch_1 (5.10a) of "Big Balls in Cowtown".

Logan_P2_a_2mb.jpg

Logan Wetherell topping out after leading the right variation to Pitch_2 (5.10c).

LoganP3_2mb_c1.jpg

After we all took turns backing off Logan finally took the lead on the third pitch (5.10c) of "Big Balls in Cowtown".

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like this thread has been dormant for a while. Maybe some folks will come back out of the woodwork and get us some stoke for the end of this cold snap. I'm interested if anyone knows anything about...

1. "Gothic Rock" north of Sisters at the end of Green Ridge.

2. If you head up the White Water River from its confluence with the Metolius it looks like there are some big south facing cliffs above the drainage at around 5k' that might be similar to Cougar Crag near Bend. Anyone been there? Rock quality? Routes?

3. West Ridge of the Strawberries and the range west of that above John Day both have some domes/spires. visible from the road. Anyone know?

4. Table Rocks near Medford got any routes?

Thanks folks!

• 3 weeks later...

In tribute to the master of choss that started this thread, who we lost so young (Corvallisclimb):

Some more pinnacles from the land-o-boners in SE Oregon (spring 2016):

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_34921.JPG

IMG_35021.JPG

IMG_35182.JPG

P1170476.JPG

P1170598.JPG

P1170783.JPG

P1170793.JPG

P4230964.JPG

For all the phallic pics, I like to include this for balance, which I entitle "The Crystal Snatch"

P1170731.JPG

The crystal snatch is a void within a very large geode welded into this wall:

[video:youtube]

Edited by shapp