CENTRAL OREGON ICE!!!!!

chrismael

Yeah, thats right, I'm screaming. Seems I've wasted a least a half a dozen days each december in the past decade tromping around for handful of mediocre climbing days. Where are you young whipper snappers who are supposed to be out there doing it for us old guys? Huh? Too busy with your X-boxes??? Don't know how to post on with your Ipod touch??? Afraid to get your little fingies cold??? Think your gonna impress that girl at the gym? Bah! Go thrash around in 3 feet of snow through dead lodgepole for a day and become a man!

Post it up.

See, there's even hope for Tumalo! (pic was in march) A couple more days of this cold, and we might have something???

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Marcus on your new route! It looks great. There is a lot of good ice out here, i have been up in the elkhorns for the last two sundays and have kicked the rust off my crampons for the season opener. About 24 inches of depth hoar above 7000 with a firm breakable wind crust at the surface. If this weekends snow event does not lay down too much snow, it will be good access for a while, otherwise it could get sketchy with instability. The strawberries are avalanche prone and the forecast is calling for high winds with the snow. We will see. I am planning to go there in a few days. All of our other areas are forming up nicely too so when you want to head east, let me know. By the way, thanks for being Coles friend! He is proud of that! You can search my name at flickr for last weekends day.

Stay in touch, mh-

Decided to check out Salt Creek falls for ourselves. It didn't look in to us...but we're noobs...

www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1283449602344

We did stroll up to Diamond Falls and it looked better than SC Falls but you can't really see anything down in there without actually rapping in. The 200+ ft lower angle flow on the opposite side of the gorge was enough to keep us and our top rope busy. Had a blast! It was a bit thin in places but it seemed solid enough to me.

I was shocked by how much ice I saw around me when I rapped in across from DC falls. Let me know if you wanna check it out the next time we get a good freeze.

Paulina, last 12/10.

The south flow was as fun as I have ever seen it. who knows now? I always have hopes that it will persist given it doesn't see any sun, but there is a lot of volume still.

There was a bit of ice on the North too. Looked like it collapsed recently.

The south flow had a passable cave behind it, well passable after knocking out a couple of chunks and squeezing.

Tumalo is a ways out if ever, Seems the only luck I've ever had there was in early march. Nothing but golden sun on Cougar.

I have some approach beta on Squaw (Wychus) for anyone who is interested enough to put forth the effort. I assume the thing has been climbed at some point in time, can anyone confirm or deny this?