Radio rental for Aconcagua

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a radio on Aconcagua for obtaining weather reports and/or as a backup for emergency rescue. I've read that VHF covers a large portion of the mountain to put you in contact with the rangers. Is this the best option? Are there places in Mendoza to rent a handheld radio?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dude, I did Polish glacier direct route in 2002. My experience with the weather there in summer is that it is very consistent and it lasts usually 2-4 days, so you have to wait it out in the base camp, which is really luxioury with good food; after climtizing you can summit really in two days if you are reasonably fit; you can radio from camp1 and then once you past ameghino col all the way to camp2; once you on Polish glacier you have visual to basecamp all the way until you reach summit plateau; Mendoza has many climbing shops and you can hire radios in them; there will be many radios on the mountain, every group carries them so you can communicate with the basecamp even if you don't have radio; once you on the glacier then you will be most likely by yourself; if you doing false polish route you will be with other 50 people and if you doing standard route you will be climbing with 200+ others on the switchback path; if you need more info please ask me, cheers Tony