[TR] Leavenworth - FA: The Goatee 12/5/2009

AlpineMonkey

Trip: Leavenworth - FA: The Goatee

Date: 12/5/2009

Trip Report:

Today Aaron Zabriskie and I made the first ascent of a route we named, "The Goatee." It's located directly across from the descent off of Snow Creek Wall. We climbed the route in exactly three 70 meter pitches. WI3, 700 feet of ice! It was a great day out.

Pitch 1: WI2+ (70 m)

Pitch 2: WI 2 (70 m)

Pitch 3: WI 3 (70 m)

From the top we were able to walk down by following easy ramps, climbers left.

The Route:

DSCN4695.JPG

Aaron on Pitch 2:

DSCN4716.JPG

Pitch 3, the crux. WI3

DSCN4731.JPG

The top, walk over to that big tree in the pic for an easy descent. (walk down)

DSCN4736.JPG

Approach Notes:

1.5 hours from car to climbing. It's just past and up the hill from Millennium Wall.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way before the switch back. It's just after where you cut off the main trail to walk up to Snow Creek Wall.

PS No one wants to go out climbing tomorrow? Theres more ice to be had and it would be depressing not to get on it while its good...Was planning on doing something with the wife but she told me shes got to work on some otherstuff tomorrow instead.

Edited by AlpineMonkey

For once I’ve done a route that’s gotten a repeat!, kind of makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside. :laf:

I’m glad you guys liked it! We also thought it was a neat route and it is at a grade which we are all capable of climbing. Washington ice comes one day and is gone the next so it is extremely important to spill the beans ASAP. The more we all know, the less wasted time and the more fun/climbing we all get.

Thanks for all the compliments on the route.

Climbed it yesterday - was a fun day out despite the unpleasant wind. I like the third pitch... BTW, better don't follow our descent tracks. I'm sure there is a much better way down!

Is that third pitch any fatter? It was really wet when we were on it? I would be interested in seeing a pic if it was any different.