[TR] Chair Peak - North Face 12/3/2009

cbcbd

Trip: Chair Peak - North Face

Date: 12/3/2009

Trip Report:

Dirtbag Packworks and I headed up to the pass to take advantage of this awesome cold snap. The trail trough up to Source Lake was beaten and fast. The North face had many line options and we ended up starting out one left-facing corner left of the usual one which had thin unprotectable ice and was a lot of fun. From the top of that pitch I looked over to the "standard" first pitch on the right and looked like it had a lot more snow and ice. On P2 we trended right and rejoined the "standard" route. The climbing was fun and the conditions were great. The descent gully is a little bare in spots and has some downclimbing steps required. Spotted 4-5 rap stations. Didn't test them all but I'm sure they are all bomber, right?

Anyways, get on it.

E Face

P1100446.JPG

E Face, NE Butt, N Face

P1100451.JPG

First pitch

102_2851.JPG

Topping out

P1100477.JPG

Extremely clear day

P1100487.JPG

Gear Notes:

2 pickets would've been nice (we had 1), used one screw (2 would've been good if you do the standard first pitch which has thicker ice), thin and short knifeblades were the best pro I found. Found no nut placements down low.

Approach Notes:

Beaten path all the way up to Source lake. No snowshoes used - firm all the way to the base and out.

Edited by cbcbd

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic