winter gloves?

woodchips

I realize this may be a bit like the search for the lost city of gold, but I'm in the market for a new pair of gloves for skiing and climbing. I'm thinking a waterproof shell with removable liners would make the most sense (like BD guide gloves?) Those may be overkill, and rumor has it, not all that waterproof?

I do want: waterproof (duh!), long gauntlet, and some color other than black, so I don't lose 'em in the bottom of the sleeping bag in the middle of the night.

Ideas? Should I just stick to carrying two redundant pairs of insulated gloves rather than trying to have one pair of shells with two liners?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterproof gloves do not remain so. For the same price as one pair of spendy do it all gloves you can get 3 to 5 pairs of cheap gloves and rotate them so you always have a warm dry pair to put on. and then when you wear some holes in a pair (and you will) it's only $40-50 for a new pair instead of $150

Waterproof gloves do not remain so. For the same price as one pair of spendy do it all gloves you can get 3 to 5 pairs of cheap gloves and rotate them so you always have a warm dry pair to put on. and then when you wear some holes in a pair (and you will) it's only $40-50 for a new pair instead of $150

That's what I've been doin, and may continue... just hoping there was something out there I was missing. Alot of the patrollers up at baker are using these:

[img:center]http://www.gemplers.com/img/kinco-gloves-pigskin-22760.jpg[/img]

Might give them a try for skiing.

good winter mittens are expensive. I like the two part combo: Outer waterproof shell, with the removable fleece or wool inner mitten so you can rotate through your inner mitts on a multi day trip. I recently wore out my old forest outermitts so I went to Seattle Fabrics and bought a pattern for overmitts:

Seattle Fabrics overmitt pattern

I had never sewed anything fancy like mittens or gloves before, but the fabric costs were minimal, and the pattern was $6. I sewed just one shell, and it worked great, but I thought the thumb was overly complicated.

I carefully cut apart my old forest overmitts at the seams, then laid them out on thick paper and traced out the parts. Walla, new pattern! I've now sewed one overmitt from this new handmade pattern and I like it a lot.

I know it's kind of dumb to spend all this time sewing, when I could afford to just buy the finished product, but all four of us need new mitts, and I love to get off the damn computer once in a while. Sewing is cool! I love my new machine, though the mitts could be done on a home machine.

I used to used the OR Arete glove, which seems pretty similar to what you are describing. They were a pretty decent glove for the price ($75-ish?), but anymore I can't justify OR gloves over Rab's. Rab's fit me better, use eVent, and are significantly cheaper. This is my current cold weather ice glove... Rab Latok Glove

I also carry either a belay mitten or light windpro glove as a backup depending on the conditions and objectives.

A couple of pairs of light windpro or powerstretch gloves with an overmitt shell has worked for me too, but I prefer my current set up for most applications.

Finding a glove system that I really like has been (and still is) a difficult and ongoing process.

Mammut Extreme outer with the OR Alti Mitt Inner liner. Im a pussy and get cold hands, this is the warmest functional setup I could come up with. I also use a pair of OR Contact gloves as replacement liners if the first pair get wet.

As for color... the Mammut Extremes I got are an older model and are in a blaze orange and blue... Go Broncos!

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a pair this past weekend and took them for a spin, a little thicker and warmer than some of the other soft shell gloves I've been wearing lately (MH Torsion, Mammut Traverse). Comparable to the Arc'Teryx Gamma SV glove in terms of feel, but waterproof and with a longer gauntlet.

Leather on the palms got wet but my hands stayed dry and they dryed quickly in my jacket. It was hard to make any statement regarding warmth since I was cragging and got cold sitting around in belay mittens and a micropuff jacket

The gauntlet tightening/loosing system is the best I've seen out there. cord on the thumb side of the glove tightens and cord on the pinkie side loosens; pretty slick.

Just a note on the OR Alibis (not the alpine alibis which look better), they fit really tight. I understand that's part of the point of a dry tool glove, but my hands were colder with these on due to a lack of circulation than they were with nothing at all. I was wearing an XL too and my hands aren't THAT large.