Learn to ice climb?

rocketparrotlet

So, I want to learn to ice climb. I have most of the gear (I don't have ice tools or screws, which I know cost a lot), but none of the knowledge. I've read the ice climbing FAQ's on this site multiple times over and learned quite a bit. But they are no substitute for a real person teaching. Anyone know where I can get some instruction on this?

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE 2/15/09

Due to late breaking circumstances beyond our control, the Nipigon Ice fest will not be an "official" event this year. This means no clinics, no evening presenters, no gear swap and such. However, all keen ice/mixed climbers are still invited to converge on Nipigon the weekend of February 27, 28, March 1 for an unofficial climbers gathering. Georgina at the Nipigon Café has been gracious enough to offer us the back section of her restaurant on Saturday evening so please stop by around 7‚ish for an impromptu climbers social.

Rest assured, next year the fest will be back!

&ndash Ice Fest Organizing Committee

:cry:

UPDATE 2/15/09

Due to late breaking circumstances beyond our control, the Nipigon Ice fest will not be an "official" event this year. This means no clinics, no evening presenters, no gear swap and such. However, all keen ice/mixed climbers are still invited to converge on Nipigon the weekend of February 27, 28, March 1 for an unofficial climbers gathering. Georgina at the Nipigon Café has been gracious enough to offer us the back section of her restaurant on Saturday evening so please stop by around 7‚ish for an impromptu climbers social.

Rest assured, next year the fest will be back!

:cry:

That was last year's fest that was cancelled. It'll be on again this year.

Mark -

I have a sixteen year old son who has been climbing grade IV waterfall ice with me since he was 11. We have a few locals his age that climb with us - you'd certainly be welcome to join us. We live in Leavenworth, and have amassed a selection of tools & crampons for you to try, provided you have appropriate boots & clothing. You can put your parents at ease by letting them know that the adults in question include some old guys who helped to create the guide certification curricula now used by the American Mountain Guides Association, and currently train volunteers for the Chelan County Mountain Rescue Association, or you could simply put them in touch with us. (PM me)

Mark -

I have a sixteen year old son who has been climbing grade IV waterfall ice with me since he was 11. We have a few locals his age that climb with us - you'd certainly be welcome to join us. We live in Leavenworth, and have amassed a selection of tools & crampons for you to try, provided you have appropriate boots & clothing. You can put your parents at ease by letting them know that the adults in question include some old guys who helped to create the guide certification curricula now used by the American Mountain Guides Association, and currently train volunteers for the Chelan County Mountain Rescue Association, or you could simply put them in touch with us. (PM me)

WOW!

Can I come too?!

I'm only 50.

Seriously, this sounds as good as it gets.

You might post your boot size in this thread and see if you can borrow a pair if you don't have any.

Mark -

This is an amazing offer! I sent you a PM, I'd love to talk with you about this in greater detail.

Thank you very much!

-Mark

Edited by rocketparrotlet

• 3 weeks later...

This looks cool! What's it like- would I be way out of place as a 16-year-old who's never ice climbed before?

-Mark

Way to go big, dude! I first climbed ice whe i was 16 (about a year and half ago). Its all about finding places that will let ya on. The Seattle Mountaineers get a lot of hate but i needed some where that would teach me how to ice climb so i went with them. Jeff Street the main instructor was great. It was a really good experiance and i learned alot. If you know how to rock climb and use crampons your set... And finding partners...

Edited by RokIzGud

• 2 weeks later...