If you are ever in Central Florida

Doug

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were a non-bolted (or even bolted)crag anywhere in that state I'd be all over it. So far, most of my business on the new job is not near j-tree, yosemite, or any decent climbing.

On the upside, the beach running in Florida was nice, along with the 80 degree weather. tongue.gif" border="0

Doug, I feel your pain.

I went to the Hotlanta rock gym a few times. I felt like I was at the roller skating rink, bowling alley or at Whirly Ball. It had the same carnival like atmosphere...I suggest combat Karate instead when in the south.

Charlie that's a fly polaroid Essay!

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This state seems to have a self-limiting philosophy about vertical sports....

I think it is simply the idea that to be "cool" what a person does is go buy something expensive (ie. car), shows it off and then society embraces them. The notion that a person can develop tangible skill through perseverence, self-discipline and practise; the reward for which is only one's own gratification, not applause or fame... seems to be a novelty at best in these parts.

Of course, maybe I am just a little bitter about having to move here.

Happy Tuesday all you lucky folks in the PNW

Shawn [big Drink]

[ 08-27-2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Ibex ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I have been to Florida many times. What a great state. Bikini clad women and surfin. Climbing aint everything. PLus they know how to party. Not like a bunch of boring people I have seen around here.

Cavey,

I'll grant you there is some slight advantage to the prevelance of vanity in southern women, but you are overlooking some very important points, namely:

**No good beer [big Drink] whew... I need another one of those [big Drink]

**No good coffee. In a town with a couple hundred thousand people, you cant even get a crappy starbucks... [Mad]

**An abismal (sp?) lack of outdoor education/etiquette. This concept of leave no trace is so far removed from so many of these people it is incredible

**As far as "knowing how to party"... ummm, you might be taken aback at the amazing number of beachfront hotels/developments. This may not sound like much, but what 30yrs ago was nearly "untrammeled by man" is now concrete jungle, spring break hell. The traffic on the beach moves at the same pace as I-5 during rush hour.

Dont get me wrong, I have met some really great people down here. To be fair I have to say that on average southerners are much friendlier than most folks, and many will stop to help you if you break down on the highway. The ocean temp here is a balmy 85 degrees (can you say SCUBA?) and the sand on the beaches is so white it looks like someone poured big bags of sugar everywhere. It is not the 4th circle of hell, [big Grin] but for a climber, it is not the place to be.

Shawn

[ 08-27-2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Ibex ]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

get real, all- THERE'S NO CLIMBING IN FLORDIA- the damn high point in the state is a 300' hill up by Elgin AFB- try honing your surfing/ surf kayaking/caving/distance swimming/scuba skills and forget about the rock, you'll stop jonesing sooner if you do

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

get real, all- THERE'S NO CLIMBING IN FLORDIA-

Kurt Smith [Cool][Roll Eyes] seemed to think that there was. He made us look at slides of people yanking on plastic in Florida as part of his show. [Roll Eyes] And if he says so who are we to argue? [Moon]

[ 10-27-2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]