[TR] Hyalite Canyon - 11/21/2009

spionin

Trip: Hyalite Canyon -

Date: 11/21/2009

Trip Report:

Dave_S, t_rutl and i spent the past week at Hyalite. we drove out of seattle on friday, 11/20, at 7 p.m. and arrived in bozeman about 12 hours later, in time for breakfast at over easy.

troy's friends steve and austin met up with us and took us to twin falls area. we started off on some WI3-3+, 45 m lines. it was cold, the ice was definitely fatter than anything i've seen this early in the season.

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_11701.JPG

the second day we met up with pu (joe). we did mummy II and then ganged up on the scepter and lapped that a few times. both are in good conditions.

IMG_1240.JPGIMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

joe crashed on the floor of our totally sweet pad for the night, gave me a lesson on skinnin' a deer with the help of a toyota truck (true story, people), and the dudes had their bacon for serious MENergy in the morning.

IMG_1319.JPG

we headed to champagne slot and champagne sherbet. the approach was super easy compared to the previous days, and the routes didn't disappoint. sherbet was a sketch to protect, so chandeliered. i looked for a place to pound in some pins, but the rock next to the flow did't look too solid. nonetheless, the climbing was awesome. and the company was rad.

IMG_1305.JPGIMG_1254.JPGIMG_1260.JPG

t_rutl should post the report on days 4-5 shortly. cheers.

IMG_14371.JPG

approach notes: WI2 on the road. bring 4-wheel drive.

gear notes: stubbies. bacon. powerthirst.

group notes: fantastic sense of humor. no ego.

Edited by spionin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey doug! thanks a bunch for the returned anchor!

hope the climb was good - a little heady, huh? dave and i tagged it - he pulled but burned out at the top of the crux and i re-lead it with the placed gear (totally clipped at my shoulder at the top of the column - was burning up!). -veronika

It was a good climb and had tons of good hooks (thanks)! I originally lost the toss up for the lead but then got to give it a go when the winner let me have it (oh yeah!). I just remember doing a lot of shaking out while placing my last screw at the top of the column - screw in a little, shake out left hand, screw in some more, shake, screw in the rest, clip! It's all good :D

Although sketchy was the part above that - a lot of loose snow hiding the mystery ice underneath. Lots of cookie cutting through the snow sticks!