Cabo San Lucas??

boadman

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bouldering is good. I stuck with the stuff on lovers beach. some problems, bouldered the start of some routes. Found myself doing some bouldering and missed the "privado" sign on a second outing (woops!)

Padless, shoes and chalkbag only. There was a recent article in on the rags about world class bouldering further north on the peninsula, but would require a drive (maybe if your driving to Hotel California anyway?)... not sure how much your trip is about getting some vertical in and how much is about sipping mojados on the beach.

i was there for new years 2006 and only brought shoes because my research on routes kept mentioning corroded anchors and bolts. i also found enough bouldering at lover's/divorce beach to keep me busy for a couple hours, but it was all on cliffbands, only a couple actual boulders. so don't get your hopes up and you'll have a good time. as you proceed north and away from the beach, you can wander inland and see some anchors and what must be routes, but they looked pretty spicy to me as i scrambled around below them. flares, grooves, no real cracks. looked like a good way to have an epic or get hurt. stick with shoes and chalk, definitely no need for a pad on the sand.

[img:center]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XNueStDVX8c/SCOVYGUc0BI/AAAAAAAAChM/B4hWNnQYNU0/s512/IMG_1931.JPG[/img]

Don't bother with a rope or gear, not worth it. Bouldering there is way fun though. I soloed a route that had bolts and they looked awful, very sketchy. On the plus side, there was lots of um', maybe one of these would hold a fall on the way down? (And you thought Ozone was over bolted!)

[img:center]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XNueStDVX8c/Sw11IcU9xJI/AAAAAAAAIZs/j3eXDmse_lo/s576/IMG_1939.jpg[/img]

Edited by eldiente

• 5 weeks later...

Don't even bother with a chalkbag, just dry your hands off in the sand between burns. In fact, the rock itself is gritty enough that your hands basically stay dry as you climb. I boulder-traversed for about a half hour without ever having sweaty-feeling hands.

We stayed up in Pescadero, which is about an hour north of Cabo, but my wife and I left the kids with the g-parents and aunties for a day and went and bouldered around cabo. It was pretty fun. There was actually quite a bit of potential for moderate routes there. I'm surprised no-one's put a bunch in and started guiding the tourons. Cabo is a zoo.