In Portland

snowleopard_x

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRG is definitely the better place (versus Stoneworks) to check out. It's about 2/3rds bouldering, with lotsa tricky + creative problems. There's about 4-5 lead lines (mostly steep) and maybe 10-12 TRs up at any one time. It's pretty lo-fi and a little bit dusty, but the folks there are real. It's also about a 5 min. bike ride from downtown.

Stoneworks on the other hand...why, that's in Beaverton! Don't make to the 'burbs much...

While there is no comparison in the size of the two, PRG is definitely a larger gym, I would hesitate to call it a better gym. I have climbed at both gyms and have found, in my experience, a very elitist attitude at PRG. Stoneworks on the other hand, while being much smaller, is by far friendlier and more of what I would call a "climbers"gym. Everybody from the staff (who remember your name after one visit) to the regulars are helpful and encouraging. SW will never have the sq. ft. that PRG enjoys, but they have recently finished an expansion that will afford climbers the opportunity for lead climbing. Obviously your current location will have a lot to do with which gym you go to, but for my money Stoneworks is my gym of choice. Just my .02!

• 1 month later...

Don't forget Club Sport. It is probably the largest and best, by far, facility in the PDX area. Only problem is it is in the burbs (so is stone works) and it is yuppie land (MILF's in spandex and make up).

Supposedly PRG is building a new stellar facility, but you just have to deal with attitude.

My $0.03

• 2 months later...

Is PRG's new place going to be where it used to be or are they building a completely new gym someplace else? I'm in Vancouver, WA for the summer so I'll be in Portland climbing a lot. I've also been to the Club Sport and it is pretty nice. Does anyone know how much it is for a day pass at Club Sport?

MarshMan19 said:

Is PRG's new place going to be where it used to be or are they building a completely new gym someplace else? I'm in Vancouver, WA for the summer so I'll be in Portland climbing a lot. I've also been to the Club Sport and it is pretty nice. Does anyone know how much it is for a day pass at Club Sport?

Day passes at Club Sport, if DFA remembers right, are 15 bucks (i.e. just under half the cost of a MONTH at the PRG). Also, the new PRG is being built at the intersection of Sandy & Burnside, across Burnside from Hippo Hardware. They've got the footings down, and it looks like they'll be starting on the CMU walls pretty soon (perhaps today?). Supposedly it should be done this fall, but construction projects never finish on time, so who knows? Hopefully by the end of the year, though. It's gonna be sick. Walls are all gonna be by Compwall, and they'll have separate roped and bouldering areas for less clusterage.

• 2 months later...
Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

MarshMan19 said:

Day passes at Club Sport, if DFA remembers right, are 15 bucks (i.e. just under half the cost of a MONTH at the PRG). Also, the new PRG is being built at the intersection of Sandy & Burnside, across Burnside from Hippo Hardware. They've got the footings down, and it looks like they'll be starting on the CMU walls pretty soon (perhaps today?). Supposedly it should be done this fall, but construction projects never finish on time, so who knows? Hopefully by the end of the year, though. It's gonna be sick. Walls are all gonna be by Compwall, and they'll have separate roped and bouldering areas for less clusterage.

I saw the new building yesterday and it's coming along nicely. Also, they said they'll be offering more yoga classes (as much as 3x a day). What more could you want in a gym? smile.gif

• 1 month later...

PRG is building a brand spankin new gym on NE 12th and Burnside. They have the building completed and the steel forms up but no climbing surface as yet. Gary tells us it will be finished by the end of the year. Higher lead walls, more climbing wall, and more bouldering as well but the ration of climbing to bouldering should be getting a little better. Tell him Kevin sent you, maybe I'll get a deal grin.gif

• 8 months later...

haha, yeah, PRG is pretty clicky... you're either acquainted with someone in the awesome boulderer posse, or you climb alone and they avoid eye contact while waiting for you to get off their problem. yellaf.gifconfused.gif Not that I really know what I'm talking about, I just went there a couple of times, tagging along with one of the cool guys. cool.gif

Nothing to fear at the PRG. I go there with the g/f on the days we have off together (rare) and to keep a little in shape for the rock, when I'm not in the alpine snow/ice.

I never have a problem there. The new facility is pretty nice. I think that you can find cliques wherever you go, if you look for them.

lol...too funny!

I tend to make friends with just about everyone so it's no big to me.

I'm in that "in between stage". I've been climbing far too long to be considered a "noob"...but don't climb hard enough to be considered a rockjock...

Which means, I can spin my tall tales of sketchy trad leads on manky pro at Josh...none of which are over 10c...and my near sport onsites of 11d's (sandbagged or not, I didn't rate 'em)

So I climb my 10's...and work my 11's...and flail on V3's...in the end, it's ALL 5.FUN

(wanna talk aboubt 'clicky'...try climbing at rockcreation in LA...LOL!!)

• 1 year later...
lol...too funny!

I tend to make friends with just about everyone so it's no big to me.

I'm in that "in between stage". I've been climbing far too long to be considered a "noob"...but don't climb hard enough to be considered a rockjock...

Which means, I can spin my tall tales of sketchy trad leads on manky pro at Josh...none of which are over 10c...and my near sport onsites of 11d's (sandbagged or not, I didn't rate 'em)

So I climb my 10's...and work my 11's...and flail on V3's...in the end, it's ALL 5.FUN

(wanna talk aboubt 'clicky'...try climbing at rockcreation in LA...LOL!!)

Hey Noob, where hell have ya been?