[TR] Cascades - Arrowhead 11/22/2009

AlpineK

Trip: Cascades - Arrowhead

Date: 11/22/2009

Trip Report:

All these stories of new snow had friends and I apprehensive. It could be killer powder but there isn't much of a base. Nice smooth snow can have logs and rocks hiding out underneath. Also avy forecasts got our attention. We figured we should harvest some powder but stay away from big open slopes.

Cman, JH, and I decided to stick to territory we knew pretty well, so we skied towards Arrowhead. Somebody was nice enough to break some tracks to the upper clearcut, but then it was up to us.

The three of us were able to tag team trail breaking, but often breaking was through two feet of snow. Tree wells were only recently buried, and you could expose moats around boulders with ease. I found one funny section on the ascent. In order to stay out of a moat I had to undercling a boulder.

We got up high on the peak, but rising winds and our worry about avalanche caused us to declare a high point and start shredding.

Two feet of powder is always nice, maybe not by Aspen standards, but who cares.

Uptrack

Uptrack1.gif

Highpoint

High-Point-View.gif

Powder

Upper-shot-action.gif

Fun times! [img:center]http://www.danbbs.dk/~rep/pictures/animation/skianim.gif[/img]

Gear Notes:

Snow sliding gear is advised

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic