we suck

RuMR

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these guys have familys, careers and lives.

And they (and their families) all had to come up with the requisite dedication as well as organize their priorities in life in order to maintain that level of climbing. It's not like it just happens - at any age - particularly not past 35 with those families, careers, and lives. People do it, but don't kid yourself, the five year attrition rate in climbing is still enormous across decades and such older climbers really are the last men standing at those grades.

You look around here and guys are bitching about bolts and sport climbing like it's still 1984.

Yeah, it's like bitching about bullets and Buffalo hunting like it's still 1824...

Bison_skull_pile%2C_ca1870.png

I did a post on Mark's ST thread reflecting on the challenge of lining up motivation, discipline, and experience for such an endeavor. Two out of three won't cut it. That trifecta is not easy to muster and the inability to come up with it is what leaves 99.9% of folks on the ground looking up wishfully thinking about it.

I dig it

Shit man I'm all about training and working hard and making lifestyle sacrifices to get better but giving up eating and drinking beer just to get another letter grade, that's just geh.

maybe they have more fun and satisfaction from hard sends and personal improvements, then from getting drunk and complaining how getting old sucks. It's about choices.

I dig it

Shit man I'm all about training and working hard and making lifestyle sacrifices to get better but giving up eating and drinking beer just to get another letter grade, that's just geh.

maybe they have more fun and satisfaction from hard sends and personal improvements, then from getting drunk and complaining how getting old sucks. It's about choices.

or maybe they can't get laid anyways

Edited by Hugh Conway

I mean really, 99.9 % of climbers are going to improve by climbing and working out more not by completely abstaining from beer and food.

If you are uber elite sporto climber and you already train and/or climb all day, you can probably milk a bit of improvement by starvation diet, but who here does that really apply to?

Does it really matter if the Euro climbers are sending 14a in their sleep and 14d on their 60th (or 13th) birthday? Their grades are probably soft like buttery croissants anyways.

yeah...sure :rolleyes:, wait till they get a taste of AMERICAN 5.11 :rolleyes:

American 5.11 is better than French 8c just like American cheese kicks the shit out of their moldy lard wheels.

Does it really matter if the Euro climbers are sending 14a in their sleep and 14d on their 60th (or 13th) birthday? Their grades are probably soft like buttery croissants anyways.

American 5.11 is better than French 8c just like American cheese kicks the shit out of their moldy lard wheels.

French girls vs. American girls....

French girls vs. American girls....

european-american-women.jpg

Stevie Haston is a monster... I feel kind of sad for these people though that they spend so much time & sacrifice training for some sport route. I'd be curious to find what motivates them.. I've tried sport climbing & after the 10th gang bang on some route I just don't see what the attraction is.

And they (and their families) all had to come up with the requisite dedication as well as organize their priorities in life in order to maintain that level of climbing.

there's some of that, but not necessarily as much as your post seems to infer. it's not like you need to drive out to the crags and while away your time to improve (or maintain); I personally MUCH prefer training, at home, close to family, instead of sitting around the crags all day with my fellow orangutans.

And once certain levels are achieved, it's way easier to (vs initial improvement). i personally think that once you've hit say 5.13, an hour of the right things every week will keep you there (assuming you don't bloat out and gain a buncha weight).

It's not like it just happens - at any age - particularly not past 35 with those families, careers, and lives. People do it, but don't kid yourself, the five year attrition rate in climbing is still enormous across decades and such older climbers really are the last men standing at those grades.

see above.

i think perception of situation has a ton to do with it. i know a few climbers who dropped the game when the 30's came around, with jobs and families, and suddenly they didn't "have time". well, they didn't have time to hang out at the crags all day like they used to, but they certainly had plenty of time to stay fit and even improve, if they wanted to , or knew how. personally, i'd way rather be siked about training and exercise than wasting an hour a day in front of the tube or whatever other time-wasters i might be engaged in (cascadeclimbers?). like i said, it doesn't take that much time.

The people who I described DO climb with the family, there must have been 10 kids at the crag that day. They all take turns watching the kids explore, chase lizards and play.

I could not believe they could send with all the racket of kids playing!

And for the record they are mostly Brits who would never, never, turn down a cold beer. They train hard and lead balanced lives.

Our company has a firm policy of rock climbing tuesdays, don't try and reach them in the office before 12:00.

Those of you who own the new Red Rocks guide can check out my boss sending his new route on the Brownstone wall on the cover.

[img:left]http://www.redrocksguidebook.com/images/red-rocks-a-climbers-guide-cover.jpg[/img]

Last I heard they were off to free Moonlight Buttress.

The bottom line is they crank harder than 90% of us and it's completely the norm for the area they live in.

Me? I don't climb that hard, but I am imspired by them to try as hard as I can.

Sol, you are my hero, let's get together for dinner when I get home!