Source for approach skis?

Doug_Hutchinson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hutchinson:

Anyone know any shops in the pacific northwest that stock approach skis (aka firn skis, aka figls, aka AT skis about 130cm)? I am looking for real, waxable skis to use with my plastic climbing boots.

Try MEC in Vancouver. They don't ship skis over the border though, I don't think. [Frown] Have a look at what they got here: Approach skis at MEC

Of the MEC options shown, the Karhu one looks like a going up model only (skins permanently attached). They are wider for more floatation too. The Hagan might be more versatile, particularly if you wanted to ski down.

You might find other options from Alpine ski companies that sell what the industry is calling skiboards. I'm sure there are others, but I think I've seen Salomon with such an item.

I would check around and look for a beginner to novice/intermidate ski. This will give you tons of felxablity and make it really really easy to turn so those that can ski can use them with mountainerring boots. The only problem is in icy conditions..... yeah right they will not ski. and Beginner skis are all over the place. Cheep. 100bucks...