Intermountain West and Southwest Forum

layton

I posed the question before, and would like to suggest it again.

So far, the intermountain west (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Northern Utah)and the Southwest (Texas, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, S.Utah) are lumped in with the rest of the world in "The Rest of the U.S. and International" forums.

I think two forums: one for the SW and one for the IM-West would be a great addition to this site. Yes, this is cascadeclimbers.com and mountainproject and rockclimbing.com are the major sites for these areas. But! These two areas serve as a major destination for folks who read this site. I think it would be a service to PNW'ers to have separate forums so they can plan trips and find partners for when they venture out to these areas. There are also a lot of people from the PNW like me who have moved out here, but still use cc.com daily! Plus, I might actually post a trip report.

Also, think of the children. They are our future.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have a skateboard forum?

Kevbone :noway:

This isn't a bad thought. Lots of climbers from this area plan trips out of the NW. Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado,and Arizona are popular regional destinations. As things stand right now Idaho and Montana have there own sections (In my book I'd separate North from South Idaho :battlecage:;) ).

I don't think it's a matter of competing with other forums. It's just a question of setting up a separate section that NW climbers might like and are more likely to visit than say the east coast or a foreign country excluding BC in Canada.

Layton and Feck make sense.

A few of the forum topic titles don't really.

Northern Idaho has little to do and is 300/500 miles away from the stuff down south. And that is a little "mistake".

BC-Canada? BC coast range? Interior? Canadian Rockies which run between BC and Alberta? The Parkway-Icefields? How about one for Chamonix(specific) or Alps (more general) instead of a blanket "Foriegn" which is way too inclusive when it encompasses the entire rest of the world :).

Easy enough to make new topics but much harder to take the time and sort through what has been posted and organise it into any new forums.

Sure it is "cascade" climbers but also a lot of folks here traveling out of the area. Also make finding the info posted here easier and make adding TRs more specific to an area.

to my mind, "cascadeclimbers" refers to the region where the climbers are located, not necessarily the climbing that they do. we are a community of sorts based upon what we do (climb) and where we live (somewhere near the cascades range). this site breaks up the washington cascades into very specific regions ("alpine lakes", etc) but manages the rest of the world with broad categories such as "oregon cascades", "alaska", "canada", etc -- indeed, the farther one gets from seattle, the broader the categories become (e.g., "rest of the u.s. and international" covers everything farther away than idaho). perhaps a redesign such as the one layton is suggesting would more accurately reflect the climbing that is being done by the climbers who live in the cascades region.

to my mind, "cascadeclimbers" refers to the region where the climbers are located, not necessarily the climbing that they do. we are a community of sorts based upon what we do (climb) and where we live (somewhere near the cascades range). this site breaks up the washington cascades into very specific regions ("alpine lakes", etc) but manages the rest of the world with broad categories such as "oregon cascades", "alaska", "canada", etc -- indeed, the farther one gets from seattle, the broader the categories become (e.g., "rest of the u.s. and international" covers everything farther away than idaho). perhaps a redesign such as the one layton is suggesting would more accurately reflect the climbing that is being done by the climbers who live in the cascades region.

:tup: