N twin S twin winter climbing conditions

Khartoum Wood

Ok so i know at this time due to avi danger its a bad place to be but with in maybe the next few weeks im hoping to spend a weekend in the sisters area to climb both and was hoping some one has done them in winter and hopefully give me more of an idea of what to expect is there usually a tone of ice or what also can you get a car to the locked gate or will i have to hike that too any info would be helpful thanks.

Khartoum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on your route, I think it is actually pretty possible to do this in poor avy conditions. Better to follow your nose than my advice.

Unless its changed, the walk is just as long as it used to be. You walk from the gate and if there is some low snow, mtn. bikes won't help.

Ok so i know at this time due to avi danger its a bad place to be but with in maybe the next few weeks im hoping to spend a weekend in the sisters area to climb both and was hoping some one has done them in winter and hopefully give me more of an idea of what to expect is there usually a tone of ice or what also can you get a car to the locked gate or will i have to hike that too any info would be helpful thanks.

Khartoum

pe·ri·od (pîr-d)

n.

1. The full pause at the end of a spoken sentence.

2. A punctuation mark ( . ) indicating a full stop, placed at the end of declarative sentences and other statements thought to be complete, and after many abbreviations.

I agree with Farrgo. If you are doing the West Ridge, then avy conditions shouldn't be a problem. I have climbed the W. Ridge in all conditions and during all times of the year (I think I'm at eight ascents now), I spent too much time in that area when I was going to WWU. Even if the gate is open, don't go past, because they will close it eventually and you'll be trapped. For South Sister, you can cut across from N. Twin's W. Ridge to S. Twin's west ridge (there may be some avy danger going ridge to ridge in the valley/bowl. S. Twin's West Ridge is longer than the North's, but easier. Bring some crampons for snow/ice on rock. The W. ridge is pretty fun in wintery conditions.

RandomPicsofBigMan_512.jpg

RandomPicsofBigMan_504.jpg

Edited by AlpinistAndrew

just got back from the west ridge of north twin. the bottom half of the ridge was a cruise but the upper half was plastered in rime, verglas and light powder snow. me and my buddy opted to turn around at the obelisk due to falling ice on the upper ridge from sun warming. the route would definitely go but we didn't really feel like getting beamed with ice chunks climbing in those conditions. other than that, snow doesnt start til a little past dailey prairie and snow conditions are perfect for flotation-less travel.

Edited by kinnikinnick

just got back from the west ridge of north twin. the bottom half of the ridge was a cruise but the upper half was plastered in rime, verglas and light powder snow. me and my buddy opted to turn around at the obelisk due to falling ice on the upper ridge from sun warming. the route would definitely go but we didn't really feel like getting beamed with ice chunks climbing in those conditions. other than that, snow doesnt start til a little past dailey prairie and snow conditions are perfect for flotation-less travel.

Nice! Lucky to get out on such a sweet day. I was staring at the NT on my way back to town from Everson. I am very envious.

I have been up both in winter and the s one felt longer but i dunno. I think everyone answered your questions so im just chestbeating at this point... both are so amazing and one of my favorite places to visit during winter in the great state of Washington! go get some!!! probably perfect right now

• 2 weeks later...