Pro Mountain Sports in the U district

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being a gearhound for ice sucks. But Jim is a class a dude and is very knowledgeable too. The staff there are friendly and not intrusive like other places. There is a chill atmosphere and that is key for me. Little do people know that PMS orders stuff to your house even if it is not in the store or on the web. You just have to ask is all. Werd up.

Jim is the ultimate anti-salesman, which is both amusing and a bit challenging. It's funny for me to look around my garage and realize how much of the stuff I now own I've purchased from Jim in the last 5 yrs.

If you are in the market for tips on the best jazz, PMS is also the place to go...

quote:

Originally posted by To The Top:

Jim does a nice job of offering stuff to climbers, not just those that want to look good walking around downtown

He definitely serves a different market than REI. Somehow, it looks as if he can make a go of running a real climbing shop while I had heard that there was no money in it and that the big stores sold lots of fleece because that was the only way to survive.

• 2 months later...

More props to Jim's shop: I bought some Acopa shoes from him (after he urged me to get down from climbing on the shop's bench to try 'em out) and a few months later, the rand started to peel away. PMS offered to reglue the rand for free. I got them back from the shop today, good as new.

My fiancee's Acopa shoes just had one tongue rip out of one of them the last time we went climbing mad.gif. The nice thing was we bought them in Mexico, where they are made, and spent about half the price they sell for up here grin.gif. It's funny seeing how much stuff is marked up big time in the states.

Support the local shops. Jim does a nice job of offering stuff to climbers, not just those that want to look good walking around downtown.

I many cases I think buying local in order to support the local economy or be patriotic is a joke, such as when choosing between a Japanese or American automobile. Why go out of my way to spend hard-earned dollars on a pile (the price of which about doubles when you include the continued trips to the mechanic)?

At PMS (I'd have chosen a store name with different initials), you not only get quality equipment at a reasonable price, you also get to talk to somebody who knows the hills around here pretty damn well, and I haven't talked to a snotty or ignorant salesman there yet. It's inconvenient for me to drive up there, but in the Tacoma area, all we have is Marmot and REI. REI's recent holiday catalogue just put me over the top. I just can't stand going in there, snaking my way past Christmas Smoked Salmon and K-2 board games in an attempt to find somebody who can cut me a little webbing.