Pro Mountain Sports in the U district

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Jim is a class a guy for sure and his shop is in my opinion the best hands down. He has the best selection, and the best service out of anybody. If you're looking for portable waffle makers, he's probably not the guy to go see .. but if you're looking for good, practical climbing equipment, he's definitely the guy to see.

I agree about him being the anti-salesman (in a good way). I went in there with the intention to buy a sil shelter and a Wild Things Andinista and even as I had the money on the counter to pay for it, he was asking me if I had seen the other makes/brands/styles/etc ... its obvious that he wants you to leave his store with what you want, not just what he wants to sell you.

What don't you like about the Andinista Iain? What sucks about it?

I've carried lots of packs from Dana Designs (old Dana Designs), La Fuma, and even Schoenhoefen. This is the best back I've ever carried. I like its light weight (under 3.5 pounds), it has a LOT of room (5200 CI), it's well made, it's versatile (with two ice tool sheaths, a LOT of daisy chains, and it can zip down smaller for increased agility and maneuverability on day climbs), and did I mention it's LIGHT? The best thing I like about the Andinista, though, is the weight distribution. The pack has a large surface area against my back and I find that I don't notice the larger loads nearly as much as I would with, say, my LaFuma Baltoro 70. I guess buying gear is all just a matter of opinion, but to say a pack "sucks" indicates to me that you have a pretty strong dislike for the pack. Is it the weight you don't like? The fabric?

Have you ever carried an Andinista? What qualities about it make it a "sucky" pack? I'm not picking on you Iain, I'm simply curious. And who knows, someone may be reading this who may be considering purchasing an Andinista and may benefit from the discussion.

The thing I don't like about the Andinista is that it is too high, and hits your head. However, I've learned to compensate for this by shoving the entire top section into the main section (still leaving them attached) and cinching it mostly shut. Then it's almost like a day pack. If there's not enough room to shove it in the main section, then you've probably got a heavy pack, so the lack of head maneuverability probably isn't such a big deal.

The other thing is the straps seems to undo themselves more easily than on other packs (the compression straps, and the waist belt).

philfort -

I posted this on another thread, but if you want to make straps less prone to slipping through their buckles, rub some barge cement into the strap. They will not slide easily after you do this, so you may not want to do it with straps that you are constantly tightening/loosening.

I have noticed that the shoulder straps on Wild Things packs tend to loosen themselves, but otherwise I like them.

One trick I found to increase the comfort of my Andinista/Ice Sac:

I got ahold of one of the Dana Design Fit Kits, size meduim (lets not talk about how). It is basicaly the inner polyurathane sheet and single aluminum stay that is inside the bigger Dana Packs. Shops use them to size up costomers for fitting Dana Packs.

Anyway, I got one of these which weighs about 1/2 lb. and slid it in between the foam back pad in the Andinista/Ice Sack. The aluminum stay provides some shape for the pack and increases the comfort of the pack by 100%. It's light, but if you don't want it, then it is easy to remove.

If you can get a hold of one of thse fit kits (legitimitly) this is an excelent way to make your pack fit better. Highly recomended! bigdrink.gif

• 1 month later...
Lambone said:

I have noticed that the shoulder straps on Wild Things packs tend to loosen themselves, but otherwise I like them.

One trick I found to increase the comfort of my Andinista/Ice Sac:

I got ahold of one of the Dana Design Fit Kits, size meduim (lets not talk about how). It is basicaly the inner polyurathane sheet and single aluminum stay that is inside the bigger Dana Packs. Shops use them to size up costomers for fitting Dana Packs.

Anyway, I got one of these which weighs about 1/2 lb. and slid it in between the foam back pad in the Andinista/Ice Sack. The aluminum stay provides some shape for the pack and increases the comfort of the pack by 100%. It's light, but if you don't want it, then it is easy to remove.

If you can get a hold of one of thse fit kits (legitimitly) this is an excelent way to make your pack fit better. Highly recomended! bigdrink.gif

Why not just buy an Arcteryx that fits right from the get go? Who want's to fuck around with all that shit you're doing?

No, but I ended up settling on a middle-ground in terms of weight finally. The heavy packs sucked, but the really light ones simply felt heavier cause they carried like shit or lacked featuers I wanted. All and all, arcteryx makes some decent packs at a reasonable weight. They *are* too expensive tho. Another thing to consider is everybody feels different in different packs. Just 'cause arcteryx fits me doesn't mean it will fit somebody else.

JoshK said:

No, but I ended up settling on a middle-ground in terms of weight finally. The heavy packs sucked, but the really light ones simply felt heavier cause they carried like shit or lacked featuers I wanted. All and all, arcteryx makes some decent packs at a reasonable weight. They *are* too expensive tho. Another thing to consider is everybody feels different in different packs. Just 'cause arcteryx fits me doesn't mean it will fit somebody else.

And that's a good reason to go to a knowledgeable pack fitter like Jim Nelson, especially if you are a newbie. I've heard rumors that he actually climbs with the gear he sells too!

Bronco said:

And that's a good reason to go to a knowledgeable pack fitter like Jim Nelson, especially if you are a newbie. I've heard rumors that he actually climbs with the gear he sells too!

Damn, you serious? Jim climbs!? hahaha.gif

Yeah, for a newbie, talking to somebody who knows their shit is going to save them much time and hassle.

JoshK said:

Bronco said:

Damn, you serious? Jim climbs!? hahaha.gif

Yeah, for a newbie, talking to somebody who knows their shit is going to save them much time and hassle.

I heard he was a writer...

cantfocus.gif

It's great to hear all the praise for Jim and his staff. It is a challenge for anyone to make a living in retail these days. Thanks to all you folks that choose to support your local stores. We all try to be a resource for you guys and appreciate your support. That is the only way we will be here and can afford the quality staff we have.

Another thought: one of the reasons Jim may not carry BD is that Feathered Friends already has the brand and most manufacturers protect their existing accounts within a certain radius. He may not be able to get it even if he did want it.

We have the Trango B-52's. They are a very smooth, easy feeding device. We have demo ones if anyone wants to try one in the gym or outside.

Thanks,

Mike

Cascade Crags

Another thought: one of the reasons Jim may not carry BD is that Feathered Friends already has the brand and most manufacturers protect their existing accounts within a certain radius.

But what about REI? One thing that I remember our buyer allways struggeling with at the last shop I worked at was filling the minimum order size through BD. It was a good chunk of inventory.