Pro Mountain Sports in the U district

Pencil_Pusher

RE: They seem to be quite opposed to BD products on their website. Just an observation. I've heard BD can be quite trying to work with as a reseller.

Lots of BD products are heavy and IMHO over rated. Though not all, and many of their products have a competitor's brother (similar). I think they might be geared toward the alpinist. Carrying the off brands that nobody else does is also a good way to get customers in to check out different brands and items.

Also allowing some items to be used before bought is cool as heck. If you try to borrow an ice axe from marmot they will charge you to rent it and request a deposit.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure Jim is outright against BD stuff, although he may be. What I do know is that it can be difficult as a small retailer to meet BD's minimum order size. Tere is alot more that goes on behind the scense regarding buying merchandise at wholesale. Jim may be part of a buying group that does not distribute BD. Anyway, that is just all speculation...the stuff he does carry kicks ass, and fills the gaps that all the other shops miss, the best light stuff around.

It looks like PMS is sporting the Leashless Grivel tools and aluminum 'poons up there...nice!

Although I love BD stuff, and own alot of it. I think it's kind of refreshing to go into a shop and not see BD stuff plastered all over the walls. PMS has more stuff from small manufacturers, usualy hard too find, and often made in the US. Thats one of the reasons I'd go you PMS over other shops. Not to look for the same old Patagughi stuff, aor BD Camolots.

However, in all the shops I've worked at, Camolots were allways the best sellers...

However, in all the shops I've worked at, Camolots were allways the best sellers...

And it must be disheartening as an owner to watch people walk out the door without buying because they wanted the Camalot, not a metolius or something...

I've seen this as an employee. Then we got BD

BTW I like their nut tool, but it isn't the best, Ushba is.

I would say that BD isn't always the best choice, but it is mostly very good. At least after it has been out for few years.

I went over to PMS. I liked the shop, and asked why he doesn't like BD gear. He fed me a load of BS. Thats OK though, but the guy definitely seems kinda eccentric to say the least.

Gee, you sure did learn a lot while you were there. Better not go in there anymore with him being eccentric and all. I don't think being eccentric and climbing mixes very well either, come to think of it, all of the climbers I've met were very normal and conservative.

NO STARS FOR YOU!!! fruit.gif

I like, and own, a fair amount of BD gear, but I don't want PMS to start carrying it. I like the alternative choices that PMS carries. I like Camalots, but if I wouldn't take them if weight was a huge issue - I'd check out Jim's shop for alternatives. My read is that Jim stocks gear that he uses and believes in - that's a good enough advert for me. I know Camalots are good, but what I want to know when shopping for new gear is: what ELSE is good.

Edited by Greg_W