Alaska is part of the cascades yeh?

mackers

SO. I'll be that person, with all the shiny new gear, and no clue how to use it. I'm moving to Valdez in early December. I've climbed one pitch of ice, and loved it. WI3 with one mountaineering axe and crappy ill fitting rental plastic boots.

But now! I have a big pile of new gear, and no skills to go with it.

Anyone in the Valdez area want to be my mentor, and share all your ice skills? (you don't have to show me the ropes, I already know how to belay etc.) I'll bake you a pie, and be very grateful. And I promise to never whine about how cold I am.

Cheers

Mackenzie

PS. I'm gonna miss you Portland!!!!!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mackers - coupla older guys with lotsa miles on them that (I think) are still hangin' around that neck of the woods: Brian Teale (climbed with Brian in my college years in Colorado, early 1970s - still guiding last time I checked); Bob Plum, grew up in Wenatchee, he and I made the first ascent of Broken Tooth (near Moose's Tooth) in 1982. Either of these guys would make a great mentor, and they'll have a helluva collection of war stories from forty years of "world-class" climbing. Too bad Andy Embick bumped himself off - used to be anybody could show up in Valdez, call Andy (easy to find, an MD) and he provided a sort of "climbing partners clearinghouse" which made it really easy for out-of-towners & newbies. Ask around. Good Luck!!