Crackbolter

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by citizen dragon:

Dear Mr. Down... There are other companies using 800+, yes even 900 fill down, feathery friends and w. mtneering do not have the exclusive corner on the down market. Does feathery frnds actually test their down or just claim that it is blah-blah fill power.

I would like to know where one would find 900+ fill power GOOSE down. Eider duck is around 900 to 1000 fill power but this material is boycotted to save the species.

We test our down if the quality looks questionable. Most of the time it exceeds 800 fill and sometimes acheives 880 to 890 fill. This depends on the batch. You are correct about cornering the market on the fill power. We have cornered the market on custom products though. Let me know if you need something custom tailored. Care for a tour?

I've got nothing wrong with FF I'm just stating something that I was told. I was in Marmot talking to one of the guys whos been there for a while, about their new lightweight bags which are 800 fill. He told me that 800 was the minimum and it wasn't unlikely for people to get 900 fill and they had got this really good batch that was 1000 fill that a few lucky SOBs would get. I don't know crap about down so I don't know if this is even possible.

Obtaining 900 fill doesn't surprise me. It is just a matter of time when there will be 900+ fill power available. The birds are being raised for the purpose of the feathers which means that they will continue to breed the best birds until they acheive the results that the market needs. In this case, we all would like .5 ounce fabric that is waterproof but very breathable and durable and we would also like to have 1000+ fill power so our garments and bags weight next to nothing. It just a matter of time before the market will be able to produce these results.

Currently the lightest material that is usable is .85 ounce ripstop nylon. Unfortunately, it is very easy to tear and has very little water resistancy. It is a great interior fabric though. Feathered Friends will be using a .9 ounce Pertex nylon taffeta next year which will be lighter than their standard 1.3 taffeta. This will be a great improvement which will allow people to have a very light interior fabric that has the same qualities like durability and feel (comfort) yet knocks some weight from the bags and garments.

Any more questions?

Dudes, I think made in the USA is worth paying extra for. Wouldn't it be a better world if huge corporations got a little bit LESS and small companies got a bit MORE? TNF gets less money and FF or Nunatak or WM got a bit more of our biz?

As a comparison- In footwear, you can purchase great shoes that are fullgrain leather with a leather lining,resolable(naturally),Vibram soles and removable cork footbeds that are made in the USA and last you 20 years-cost 250 bucks; OR you can buy petrochemically produced Made in China tennis shoes you throw out every six months and cost whatever they can soak you for.

parallel to this argument- does one choose the Starbucks for coffee or an independant barista?

Why complain about being able to buy a 300 down jacket that's made in the USA- I'm always thankful I didn't grow up in Poland or Albania,

Blah blah blah, I'm happy to have all these great choices to make as an American