Pay It Forward?

Dane

Everyone knows or has been the kid who goes without food or rent money to buy gear/gas for the next climb. He or she is likely young, living on their own or in a single parent home, excited and thrilled everytime just to get out. They may get chopped but they aren't likely to quit.

Buddy of mind pointedly reminded me of the old days this morning.

Thought crossed my mind over lunch. I have gotten a lot from climbing over the years but never any "free" gear. There are times it would have really helped save a few dollars for things like FOOD or travel expenses:)

I and suspect many of you have stuff/gear that we all paid good money for and need or want to get rid of.

How about we start a program where anyone over 30 can recommend someone under 25 to get a little "pay if forward". We all donate the gear and shipping to the project and the kid in need? Just match the donation to the need online? I used the age catagories to hopefully get better matches for what I am thinking. Other wise all my buddies would want me to recommend them for free gear:) Most would anyway and lie about their age!

Thoughts?

PM me if you know of a kid that you think could use some gear and what they need.

If I don't have it maybe someone else will?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy of mind pointedly reminded me of the old days this morning.

It aint the old days, kids dont know how to work for their shit anymore. The old days kids had paper routes and dug ditches for a few bucks.

How about we give them tools to buy their own shit?

For instance I have a shovel and a tool belt that I used to buy my harness and shoes with when I was 18

Was like a week of work

Half a dozen guys jumping in, off line, and willing to donate...which is very cool I think.

For the young'uns (anyone under 30 to me :)...if you need gear, post (in public here or a PM to me ) what you have been doing, what you really what to be doing in the future and your specific gear needs right now.

We'll see if we can hook you up!

I understand the work ethic, working for and deserving what you get.

Not the idea behind "paying it forward".

"Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'."

"We all got it comin', kid."

Thought it might be nice to actually give a little bit back....just 'cus we can.

I'm sure I have some stuff I can contribute. I also want to point out, at the same time, the liability of giving someone USED climbing gear of which we do not know the history....

I like the intention behind your project here but also think you might want some structure around what kind of things make the cut, and what doesn't...

Know what I mean?

When I first read this I thought- screw em, betta get a jobby job kiddies. Then, after reflecting about the time when my first rack of gear was so generously given to me, I came to realize that this is a real nice gesture. I have many great memories putting in that skanky gear, chalks on cord, bent up nuts and beat up forged friends. I would be happy to donate my old gear to any interested youngster, though it seems anyone I know that is in that age category sports a sparkely new rack of camalots with tiny light weight biners. All the same if any one did want a old bod harness, small shoes (high tops), some spare stoppers, old rope (top rope only), and some random tat then let me know where to bring them. Happy Holidays,

-B

As a college student with little funds, I eat pancakes probably twice a week, baked beans and eggs the other few nights, then one good meal lasting for two days; all to save money for gas. And while I manage to get out fairly often, and people sometimes ask how I manage to be buying gear it is because I try and cut back on other costs. My lights are always off in my house, I don't turn the heat on, and I eat pancakes more than anybody I know.

I have only started my outdoor escapades in the last few years so I have had to buy everything so I appreciate what Dane is trying to do.

I would ask of you more experienced folk, not so much for gear, but for the chance to get out with some of you guys in the hills and pick up what 30+ years of climbing can teach me.

It's an interesting idea, Dane, and I have donated gear to similar causes in the past. Unfortunately, my partners and other climbers currently laugh and joke about the most modern stuff on my rack these days (I don't replace stuff until it becomes obviously unusable, and after nearly forty years of climbing, I know the game well enough to not buy stuff I won't use). End result is - anything I'm not regularly using probably SHOULDN'T be used by anyone else, especially someone relatively inexperienced! Good luck, though - I see enough stuff come through Ebay & Craigslist to reckon that there is a helluva lot of high-quality, essentially "new" gear just gathering dust in folks' closets. Them's the ones you need to target. (hell, there's so much stuff on the "used" and "auction" market these days, that I almost never buy from retail shops any more!)

Edited by montypiton

What about the over 30's folks in that same boat? Or do Gen-X'ers get the standard fuck you.

Anyone that expects a "fuck you" as a response generally will get one :)

My thought was to support "kids" still getting into the sport. At 30 if you are really climbing generally you'll have all the basic gear. In my original post....I said, "Other wise all my buddies would want me to recommend them for free gear:) Most would anyway and lie about their age!"

Gen Xers need to drop the pipe and get a real job some time soon. For most, climbing aint a real job. But hey, nice try.

Climbing is a pretty luxurious activity, if you had said donate for someone needing a bit of cash for a rescue or trauma, I know many would have stepped up.

We have all been there and done what we needed to do to get what we needed.

I applaude your thoughts Dane.

when i was kid i thought skiing was something rich people did, as my family was quite poor (not saying we didn't live well though! who doesn't like to milk a cow every morning?). but that is just half of it...there is also that i didn't know anyone(adults either) that skied out on the Oly Pen.

good for you dane. i'd say that most youngsters need a mentor to teach them good climbing practices too, which would go along with that gear.

"Climbing is a pretty luxurious activity"

You get no arguement from me on that one. Luxurious, waste of resources and time, extremely dangerious and more than extremely selfish to those that care about us.

Here I am wanting to encourage others to partake...."a big hit off the crack pipe for FREE!?"

I can't rationalise it. But I do remember the belly full of fire and the desire. Still have it on occasion even now. More likely I am stuck working when I do...morgage, dog and all.

I wince when I go to buy a new pair of tools and can have huge buyer's remorse on a new pair winter boots, all the while making what most consider decent money.

Have you seen what it costs to become a full UIAA guide these days? It has never been cheap. But criminy you could get a medical degree for that kind of coin...and the loans to go with it. Or buy a nice house!

Been days past I'd love to be on the recieving end of something like this and thought I deserved it.

I certainly don't deserve it now and really can't afford to give much away but I do on occasion have a thing or two someone might use. Be fun to hook those things up with someone who could and will use them.

My first though on Pete's post was ..."200 ovals??!!...shit howdy lets go do a big aid wall!"" :)

Apple don't fall far from the tree no matter how old the tree!

I have at least a large crate of gear for such an endeavor. Seriously. Old 'biners are perfectly fine though some may have sticky gates, and old cams, while not worth anything on any kind of "retail" market, would probably hold a fall. I have some borderline antique ice screws as well.

Boy does all this bring back memories of when I got into the game 30+ years ago. I didn't have much money and my parents were not excited about me getting into this 'dangerous sport'. None the less they eventually felt that I should have proper instruction and at least the bare minimum of the gear required. I managed to pick up a pair of EB's (I still got'em too!) and took a class from some guys who knew what they were doing. Believe it or not that was Dane Burns and Kim Mom! (thanks again guys) Man I was hooked! After that gear was always an issue for me and my peers and rather do what some did which was steal my stuff and claim it was theirs, I slowly aquired what I needed. Unfortunately I never got what I needed fast enough but I appreciatted every bit I did have. Nowadays I seem to be making enough money to pay almost full retail but I still value all I have.

So, what to do with all this older gear and dare I say it experience? Pretty much every place I've lived has had some sort of program that gets teens out on the rocks or at least in a climbing gym for a chance to see what it's all about. Aside from the liability issues, equipment for these programs can be scarce as well as proper instruction. If there are such programs out there I'd be more than willing to contribute. If there isn't maybe it's time one is organized. I currently live in London England and climb at a gym where all types of kids and teens are brought in and are being exposed to something that is more foreign to them than I'll ever be. I believe proper instruction early on is vital and avoids bad habits later on like chopping holds, over bolting and walking off with a bag of ice screws while I'm on the last pitch of Lousie Falls (BASTARDS). At the very least giving away some of my old stuff would free up some extra space for more gear!

Sorry for the long winded response....

Edited by fultonville

"

Climbing is a pretty luxurious activity, if you had said donate for someone needing a bit of cash for a rescue or trauma, I know many would have stepped up." I've heard it said that at either end of the economic spectrum there is a leisure class. Everyone, no matter how much money you make, needs to play and enjoy life. I also remember the poor college student days...except I ate Top Ramen, not pancakes. If I didn't have a brother working at MSR back in the day, I wouldn't have had anything for climbing. I applaud Dane for the idea. Those who don't agree, that's fine too. I wouldn't be climbing now if it weren't for those experienced folks who taught me and shared their knowledge. Thanks Dane for reminding us to give back to the sport and help them that need and appreciate it!