Bozeman Ice Festival 2009?

John Frieh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frieh, WTF do you mean getting your name approved on "his" website? Jim Earl runs that thing but I think I do have some level of admin capacity. You having IT problems? Just let me know.

As far as the WI 6 in a day clinic...

Just sign up and come and ask the guest instructors to help you out. That has always been one of the nice things about our fest. We just all show up and combine the participant energy with the instructors and make the most of it. Lots of one-on-one and just hanging out with everyone.

I would think the likes of Guy Lacelle, Jack Tackle, Jack Roberts, Whit Magro, Dean Lords, Sarah Hueniken, Caroline George and Josh Wharton could show us all as much as anyone could in one day (or better yet make it two ;-)

Of course, Frieh will be getting cliniced on Thursday and Friday of the Hyalite Ice Breaker Invitational! Indeed, the Men's version is going to be two epic days this year. I project it's going to take 25-30,000 points to win. This is something when you consider "Winter Dance" (overall the hardest route in the Canyon) is the highest scoring route at 10,000 points. Northwest Passage (a M12 on Unnamed Wall) gets 6,000. Think about it! So many routes are in right now, it's going to be epic just deciding the best combination of routes to do!

As many of you remember, Frieh and Schmidtzy got third last year. Now that Brian is a full-time monkey for the Man, I've had to put John and Brian on the same non-local side of the event. Thus, they'll have to put their usual man-love on hold as they climb with other hard core locals.

Ok. that's all for now. I'll post more info later or if anyone has question about the Bozeman Ice Festival just PM me.

Cheers,

JoJo

Frieh, WTF do you mean getting your name approved on "his" website? Jim Earl runs that thing but I think I do have some level of admin capacity. You having IT problems? Just let me know.

Not me dude: Kevino is having problems. I'm registered over there. I know it is Jim's site.

Looking forward to great event dude!

HERE IS SOMETHING FROM THE PRESS RELEASE AND A SCHEDULE FOR THE ICE FESTIVAL. HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU THERE!

The Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival Celebrates 15th Years

Bozeman, MT – Mark your calendar for the Arc’Teryx Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival December 10th through the 13th. Now in it’s 15th year, The Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival has become one of premier events of it’s kind with ice climbers from around North America, from novice to best climbers in the world, convening on Hyalite Canyon and Bozeman to climb, compete, teach and learn from each other.

With more than 150 climbs within a three-mile square-radius, Hyalite Canyon, just south of Bozeman, is home to the most condensed, naturally consistent ice climbing in America. Proudly sponsored by Arc’Teryx, the Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival offers daily instruction clinics in Hyalite by some of the best and most experienced men and women ice climbers in the world, including Guy Lacelle, Josh Wharton, Jack Roberts, Joe Josephson, Sarah Heuniken, Caroline George, and many more. The on-ice clinics are just $50 and include all the gear you’ll need, admission to the slide shows, wrap party and gear give-aways.

The nightly events at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand, are jam-packed with slide shows, films and raffles for top-notch gear from festival supporters including: Arc’Teryx, Mammut, Outdoor Research, American Alpine Club, Northern Lights, Barrel Mountaineering, Black Diamond, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Petzl, Patagonia and more. All nightly shows and gear raffles are open to the general public for a $5 admission.

Quickly becoming one of the most anticipated events is the 3rd Annual Mammut Hyalite Ice Breaker. In the Saturday Open division, climbers of any ability can see how many routes they can do in a single day to win valuable gear prizes. The Invitational athletes compete for a chance to have their name on the Grivel Golden Ice Axe, the Stanley Cup of ice climbing, on display at Northern Lights, 1716 West Babcock.

The Bozeman Ice Festival's mission is to promote the sport of ice climbing to people of all ages and abilities, to educate ice climbers about climbing skills and safe climbing techniques, and introduce climbers to cutting edge ice climbing clothing and equipment.

This year, the Arc’Teryx Bozeman Ice Festival celebrates the recent collaborative efforts between the community, Gallatin County and the Gallatin National Forest to keep the Hyalite Canyon Road open winter long to access the world-class climbing, skiing and winter recreation available there.

“It’s really a grassroots community event designed to celebrate the sport and the incredible back yard we have in Hyalite” said Joe Josephson, festival organizer and author of “Winter Dance,” a guide book to ice climbing in Hyalite and the Beartooth Mountains. “No other festival in the country provides such an intimate three-day event where anyone, regardless of their experience level, can partake and interact with so many other supportive guides, gear reps, athletes and like-minded souls. It is truly an unparalleled opportunity to check out and experience the unique sport of ice climbing.”

Register online at www.bozemanicefestival.com

Find us on FACEBOOK @ Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival

Schedule of Events

Thursday, December 10th

7:00 am – 4:00 pm The 3rd Annual Mammut Hyalite Ice Breaker Invitational. Hyalite Canyon

5:00 pm – 7:00 pm Demo Gear checkout for the Women’s Clinic at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand Ave, Bozeman, MT

7:30 pm – 10:00 pm Mammut presents, “A slide show by Josh Wharton featuring climbing expeditions to Pakistan, Patagonia and Alaska.”

Friday, December 11th

8:00 am – 4:00 pm Women’s Only Ice Climbing Clinic in Hyalite Canyon

5:00 pm- 7:00 pm Demo gear checkout for the Saturday Clinics at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand Ave, Bozeman, MT

7:30 pm – 10:00 pm World Premier of “The Continuum Project: A film by Chris Alstrin” at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand, Bozeman, MT.

Saturday, December 12th

8:00 am – 4:00 pm Ice Climbing Clinics at Hyalite Canyon

7:00 am – 4:00 pm Ice Breaker Open Class Competition

5:00 pm – 7:00 pm Demo Gear Checkout for the Sunday Clinics at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand Ave, Bozeman, MT

7:30 pm- 10:00 pm Outdoor Research and the American Alpine Club present the Bozeman premier of “Way Point Namibia by Majka Burhardt” at the Emerson Cultural Center, 111 South Grand.

Sunday, December 13th

8:00 am – 4:00 pm Ice Climbing Clinics at Hyalite Canyon.

7:00 - ? Wrap party for participants with raffle drawings, contest winners, and more at the Emerson Cultural Center. Details to be announced.

The event is proudly sponsored by: Arc’Teryx, Mammut, Outdoor Research, American Alpine Club, Northern Lights Trading Company, Barrel Mountaineering, Pipestone Mountaineering, Black Diamond Equipment Limited, Petzl/Charlet North America, La Sportiva, Montana Alpine Guides, Andes Mtn. Guides, and more.

Please register online at www.bozemanicefestival.com

Or, call Northern Lights Trading Co, 406-586-2225, 1716 West Babcock, Bozeman, MT