Boot Fitter

Doug

A few months ago I asked for a recommendation for someone who might be able to tweak my boots to get them to fit better. A business called Custom Boot Fitters run by a guy named Jim Mates was recommended.

I finally went to see him. I think he fixed me up, was very fast, very nice guy to b.s. with and his prices were very reasonable. He specializes in Ski Boots, Hiking Boots & In-Line Skates. Consider this an endorsement for him:

Custom Boot Service6500 4th Ave. NWSeattle, WA 98117

(206) 297-9298

As an added bonus, you get to go to Ballard to see him!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Doug, Does this guy do custom rock shoes? I've always had work done by Gary Mekan in Salt Lake city because he's the only one I really know in the United States that specializes in custom rock shoes, but would be interested in knowing if there was someone locally who makes custome rock shoes.

Thanks

There's two cobblers in Seattle who make shoes- one is "Mobeta Shoes" down on Western Ave just below the Pike Place Market, and the other is ??? who had a shop up on capitol hill in a small shop right close to Charlie's on Broadway. I imagine there's more but none I know of.

Custom Boots - Jim Mates will give you as good a fit as you can get from whatever boots you bring in. He started with fitting ski boots and has a lot of local ski patrolers and racers as repeats. He has gotten into fitting hiking boots and other sports as well. I had him work with me on a pair of rock shoes. He didn't resew anything or do anything structural. He added some padded lumps to direct my bones to where they were supposed to go. It helped a lot. I highly recommend this guy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you could die doing that. you need to get adequate training before using those wheel shoes. otherwise we'll charge your ass for the related rescue costs. as a taxpayer I'm sick of paying for all these rescues involving wheel shoes. yuppy wheel shoe users. sue their asses! [Mad]