Vancouver, BC shops

tomtom

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought of making a trip to the state north of Washington too. With all this border security (read needlessly long lines) which border crossing is best? Also, someone told me you need a passport in some cases, they don't accept WA drivers lic. (probably just a rumor). Any post 9-11 recommendations?

TTT shocked.gif" border="0

My experience is pre-Sept 11, but I've always had the best luck going through the Lynden crossing which sets you up for avoiding the worst of the traffic in Vancouver if you are headed to Squamish and it's a relatively straight shot into MEC from the east. MEC would be my first stop. Great place to buy pins, ropes and ski stuff. Their outerwear is a great value too. There are several other shops right across the street from MEC. Can't speak for any other places though.

Last weekend, Matt Heller and I were asked for "proof of citizenship" (passport or birth certificate) heading into Canada. We did not have them, and he let us through but said "bring them next time."

As to the line-up, all you have to do is to come and go after about 10:00 p.m. and there is rarely ever a line.

erik dude im only about 118 kms from MEC. why dont you stop off there on your way north and buy two pairs of "mixed master" gloves, size M. mine are sitting on the kitchen table right now with seam sealer and duct tape patch jobs curing up...of course they are probably outastock on all sizes but XS and XXL until May... smile.gif" border="0

You can bring as much as you want back to the US. Canada has set up an incentive to encourage this which allows you to get your federal (non provincial) tax back. There are some restrictions that you can find out about at the border crossing, but most goods you buy are included as well as lodging. Each individual receipt must be for greater than $50 Canadian. You must either stop at the refund center at the border that will give you money back cash in hand or at the actual crossing show them the receipt and goods and they will certify the receipt which you then send back from the US.

MEC is the best place to shop. The last time I was up there they were loaded with ice and rock gear, arcteryx packs and Bibler & Moss tents. Most of the clothing is MEC brand but seems to be well made.

...but due to the road network, it is faster to cros at Sumas than Lynden if heading east in Canada (like to Lillooet). but Sumas can be a bit slower sometimes, like on long weekends. take your pick. or just shift into 4x4 and drive across the zero avenue ditch between lynden and langley/abbotsford. wink.gif" border="0

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by tomtom:
What are the rules on bringing stuff south across the border anyway?

Thanks.

Nobody's answered this yet, there are rules, but I forgot most of them. If you're buying more than $400 of canuck schwag then separate about $400 of stuff and have it handy to grab and show the US Customs booth employee; hide the rest deep.

See, you're only allowed to bring back a limited value of canuck schwag, and you have to spend a specified minimum time in the great white before returning.

If you don't spend at least 1 night then your limit is very low, like $200. The value limit per crossing might be about $800, but I've forgot this, right. After you pass the max value then they either keep your excess booty and laugh or they charge excise/duty tax on the excess booty. The excise/duty tax varies between 0.5% to 6% for most schwag MEC is hawking.

....and about getting home.... bring a passport... if it's over 10 years old or you don't have one then just remember to bring your state driver license and original or certified birth certificate or original social security card. failing the latter 2 documents then bring an original voter registration card. definately cross the border 10pm-5am and the lynden crossing (just a few miles east from I-5 peace arch crossing) rulz.

One thing I've always found amusing is that most people I know who have made this pilgrimage (myself included) will stop at the duty free shop 30 meters from the border crossing and put in their claim for the GST refund, and then go to the crossing an lie about how much they spent. Last time I made any significant purchase of gear at MEC it think it was in the order of $700.00cdn. Got a nice GST refund at the duty free, then went to the border claimimg that we only spent $200.00. We bought new packs, and stuffed them with gear and said we were up hiking & climbing.

That dirty underwear trick is a good one. Whenever I've brought Cuban Cigars back, I usually stash them in my running shoes. Most humans won't go near those.... [hell no]

The Duty Free Shop on the Canadian side of I-5 southbound at the border was on Native 'American' land. The land was leased to the Duty Free Shop. I think it was last year, the lease term expired and was not made available for renewal. The last time I shopped there (and got my instant refund of canadian GST fees) everything was discounted and the shelves were almost bare.

Question: is there a duty free shop now?

quote:

Originally posted by Idea Guy:
The Duty Free Shop on the Canadian side of I-5 southbound at the border was on Native 'American' land. The land was leased to the Duty Free Shop. I think it was last year, the lease term expired and was not made available for renewal. The last time I shopped there (and got my instant refund of canadian GST fees) everything was discounted and the shelves were almost bare.

Question: is there a duty free shop now?

Truck crossing, Lynden or Sumas is your best bet. They all gottem.