Boots for use with hagan nanooks

skimtn

Hi,

I recently picked up some 99cm Hagan Nanook ski boards that come with the skins and bindings (below).

I'm mostly going to use them in lieu of snow shoes, as approach skis for easier alpine climbing in the sierras. I'll also be using them to get around to do some casual backcountry camping(for both cases I'll have a very light pack).

Any particular boots come to mind as being good candidates for this? I've been contemplating using something like la sportiva alpine boots (with toe and heel welts) but am afraid they may be too soft for skiing. I really don't want to have to carry two pairs of boots however.

cheers!

[img:center]http://hartimontane.ro/articole/2865/.resized_600x567_nanook.jpg[/img]

Edited by skimtn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to ski on old short alpine skis with "bear-trap" bindings in Galibier Superguides, which had a pretty soft upper for a leather alpine boot. I'd guess a really good skier would have no trouble in a boot like the Sportiva Nepal. I have a friend who steers a pair of army surplus "white elephants" tolerably well with the Makalu, but the Trango series with less ankle support would present a serious challenge for most skiers who've learned on modern alpine equipment. disclaimer: this is coming from a guy who learned to ski in the early 1960s - my first pair of alpine ski-boots were roughly equivalent to a modern "medium weight" nordic touring boot, and my friends and I were "ski-mountaineering" in the Teton and Lost River ranges before plastic ski-boots existed...

I skied my Free Trek Ventures (basically the same ski) for several years with La Sportiva Nepal Extremes. I'm a crappy skier but could turn them marginally well on groomed runs at a resort, and pretty much fell down anything when i had a pack on or backcountry variable conditions. Maybe I should try again now that I know how to ski better.