Vasque Ice 9000 liners bunching up

spikehay

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a pair that I've been playing with lately trying anyway possible to make them fit. I did notice the liners bunching up and had them heat molded at a ski/mountaineering shop but it didn't really fix the bunch up issue. I'm not sure if this is causing the problem I'm having with fitting the boot. I think the shell might be too small for me but was debating trying some intuition liners as a last resort to see if I could salvage the boot. I asked the guy if they could heat stretch the shells out at all but he said because it's a mix between plastic with the rubber rand that it probably wouldn't work and might cause the seams to come apart as opposed to working on a solid plastic boot. Does anyone have any thoughts on this possibility?

Dane, I'm curious to know what else you didn't like about the boot. I've only heard rave reviews but would like to hear your thoughts.

Also, anyone else have any suggestions for boots to pick up that are capable of (reasonably) comfortable hiking and some moderate ice climbing above 20K feet?

Edited by thin_air_aaron

I had a funny fold/bunch in one of my liners when I first molded them (actually Second Ascent did). I had to remold them a second time with some extra special attention to putting them into the boot while hot and floppy. The second time they came out about 90% better and I haven't had any problems with them since. Given I've only worn them for a few colder trips in Peru and a training hike or two here (~20 days), but I've really liked mine for being warm, comfy, and still fairly light and technical.

"Dane, I'm curious to know what else you didn't like about the boot. I've only heard rave reviews but would like to hear your thoughts."

My buddy, Dave, and I have been climbing together since high school. He and I both bought a pair, same vintage as the original poster. Mine were "OK" in the toes but just barely. Dave's were worse. Both of us noticed there was an issue. Dave thought his inners the wrong size for the shells it was so bad. We did not get the heated up. Big boot, hard to lace up (inner and outer) for a cold weather boot imo.

Both pairs were "new" ebay boots. After a few months of screwing around with them and never getting a fit we could live with we dumped them back on ebay again. We both bought Spantiks. I have since gone to the Baruntse...which fits me even better than the Spantik. Dave likes his Spantiks.

Climbing in really cold weather means the chance of serious foot damage. Finding the best fit in a cold weather boot might seem expensive, but it is nothing compared to the $ cost of a few days in the hospital treating a cold injury.

I have the Orange version and other than finding them a little rough on shoe laces I have no complaints. I did get my liners molded at a ski shop and haven't had any problems.

Dane - how does the ankle flex of the Baruntse compare to the Spantik?

Edit: Found your Baruntse review Dane, Thanks for taking the time for the in-depth review!

Edited by 96avs01