Veterans

deanolin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 2,200 US Veterans Died in 2008 Due to Lack of Health Insurance: a new study [...] estimates four times as many US army veterans died last year because they lacked health insurance than the total number of US soldiers who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan in the same period. A research team at Harvard Medical School says 2,266 veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they were uninsured.

Their estimates are based on their recently published findings in the American Journal of Public Health that shows how being uninsured raises a person’s odds of dying prematurely by 40 percent. The researchers also found that nearly one and a half million Veterans between the ages of 18 and 64 were uninsured last year.

While most veterans are eligible to receive care from the Veterans Administration, those who were not injured in combat and whose income is above a certain threshold are often ineligible.

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/11/11/study_over_2_200_us_veterans

Thanks to all the Vets :tup: We owe every one of you a debt of graditude for your ser vice.

Thanks for winning WWII. Thanks, Dad.

After that...65 years of continual, increasingly expensive warfare in places we never should have been.

For this we need to thank the politicians and the people who elected them.

I got a letter from the government

The other day

I opened and read it

It said they were suckers

They wanted me for their army or whatever

Picture me given' a damn - I said never

Here is a land that never gave a damn

About a brother like me and myself

Because they never did

I wasn't wit' it, but just that very minute...

It occured to me

The suckers had authority

Cold sweatin' as I dwell in my cell

How long has it been?

They got me sittin' in the state pen

I gotta get out - but that thought was thought before

I contemplated a plan on the cell floor

I'm not a fugitive on the run

But a brother like me begun - to be another one

Public enemy servin' time - they drew the line y'all

To criticize me some crime - never the less

They could not understand that I'm a Black man

And I could never be a veteran

America loves waging war, and it is currently proving that it's willing to destroy itself to continue doing so.

I thought I'd do my patriotic duty on this day of remembrance, as encouraged by our Commander in Chief, to call our glorification of military service, and therefore our glorification of warfare, what it really is: one of many manifestations of a national addiction which has played a central role in bringing about our current downfall.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

If we devoted all the energy we put into killing into fucking instead, we'd really have a problem. Plus, we'd never know where the fuck anything is on the map. And, with all that extra disposable income and no emotional outlet, we'd become a nation of Scarface-wannabe douche bags.

Thank God for war.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

One has to wonder if we'd all be better off if America'd lost the War of Independence or if it'd never happened. All of Britain's other former Anglo-colonies are so much better adjusted than we are, if not as fun. Fun in the way that stealing a car, running it into the ground, and then setting it on fire would be fun.

Don't know about that. If Australia had the population and wealth we do, they'd probably be blowing up a lot of shit, too. Historically, they love to get in on a good fight. South Africa needs no introduction in that department. If you look at other areas: abortion laws, privacy/4th amendment-type protections, the Commonwealth countries typically have more invasive laws and fewer protections than we do.

But, I will agree that culturally...with fully half our population being out and out morons screaming the word FREEDOM, eyes pursed like corner schizos, as if to encapsulate all that is right and just and good and wholesome in Our Great Nation in a single, easy to pronounce, not that foreign sounding word, all under the Loving and Watchful Guise of The Great Big Fuzzy Kitty Way Up In The Sky...we might have some issues.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The cool thing about America is that there are no stupid ideas here.

Build a bomb big enough to destroy the world? We're on it.

Put in on a rocket? You got it.

Put a man on it? Line up.

Put a 3 men and a car on it and send it to the moon? Buy the T shirt, already.

One thing leads to the next, but, in the end, we get some great little foreign restaurants out of the deal.