Sean McCabe RIP

Jason_Martin

I just came across this on Supertopo this morning:

Sean McCabe of Winthrop, WA passed away this morning after a courageous battle with thyroid cancer. His wife Laura and his 2 beautiful little girls Novie and Dashe were at his side. Sean was an accomplished alpine and rock climber, loving husband and father, high school art teacher, and artist whose work has been featured in Alpinist magazine and BD and Patagonia catalogs. A memorial is planned for Sunday November 15 at 1:30 pm at the Liberty Bell High School in Winthrop, WA.

While I didn't really know Sean, I met him a couple times and he was a really nice guy. What a terrible thing for his family.

Jason

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about his passing! I met Sean while working on the Washington Ice guide and he was a great contributor and fun person to be around! Jason and I tried to get his work into the ice guide but Mountaineers opted to do no color photos or other work, so sadly his art didn't get included at the time.

Wow, that guy was talented! Why do the good ones always have to go early? His handling of color was brilliant and reminds me of why paintings are better than photographs.

the camera is such a lame tool compared to an artist.

His handling of the sky especially was amazing. I struggle with sky...but he had it mastered.