Mountain Hardwear EV2?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty keen to get one of those once upon a time - but after some deeper digging, I found out that it doesn't have a mesh door - a feature I really like in a tent - keeps 90% of snow out while breathing better than any conduit/todd-tex/whatever, and allows some airflow. I can't remember if it didn't have mesh over the vents or not.

The EV2 also doesn't have a vestibule - it's just one long tent inside. So getting in and out in a storm - the inside of the tent's going to get wet. So, in my opinion, the EV2 is more like a 1 season tent. If your approaches involve going through buggy areas before getting to the good stuff, I think you'll curse it (or at least I thought that I would).

After trying both incarnations of the Marmot Alpinist (Sucky and Suckier), I got the Sierra Designs Convert 2 (check the alpinist review) - it's reasonably light, well designed, includes a big, removable vestibule (if you're going to have a vestibule, you might as well make it functional- the Marmot vestibules were just a pain in the ass), the vents are huge, the DriZone stuff breathes well, and has a mesh door, and has zippered mesh windows over both vents. And it's cheaper than the EV2. I special ordered mine from REI, but I've probably put 40 days on it since getting it last year, and haven't had any real problems or complaints.

Another one I'd check out is the NEMO tenshi - I haven't actually seen one, but I've heard good things. Pretty pricey though.

One feature I really like in single wall tents is the ability to set them up externally (clips/sleeves) without having to get inside and roll around like a cat in a bag with the door open to get the thing set up. With any of those I've mentioned, you can stake the thing out and set it up without getting the inside wet. Nice in wind/rain/snow.

Check out the Exped Polaris. Absolutely awesome tent, and it does have bug netting. Completely bomber, and easy to set up even in a storm. Expensive as all hell, but you get what you pay for

I use mine in winter and in summer. Obviously it's hotter than an all-mesh tent, but it's tolerable even in 30 Celsius heat, which I experienced on Robson this past summer (can you believe it?)

I have an EV2 and a partner has a Tenshi so here are my opinions...YMMV

EV2

-pros: quick easy setup, decent ventilation, trap door floor slot

-cons: a little cozy if going out for more than a couple days, no vestibule,

note u can have MH add a mesh door if you really need one.

Tenshi:

-pros: detachable vestibule, condensation curtain, anchor tie-in pass through, smaller footprint (w/out vestibule)

-cons: interior setup, optional features push weight over 5 pounds

I like both tents, no big 'show stoppers' with either. I used my EV2 on Denali and it felt like a Hilton, though I didn't have to share it with anyone. Don't think you can go wrong with either, but you have to know exactly what you are seeking.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my convert 2 in the mail, set it up, and methinks it's gonna work just fine! It is a little short(I am 6'2"), but it should still work. The pole set up was a little different, but something I can get used to. Definitely wouldnt recommend it to anyone over 6'2" though.

Can't argue those characteristics, but one of the reasons I own an EV2 is due to its small footprint (31 ft2) for trips where I can't find a convenient place to put a tent with a 69 ft2 footprint. If I want comfort and a little more space I just suck it up and accept the extra weight of my Annapurna. YMMV

• 4 months later...

A follow up;

I just used my new EV3 on Shasta in a pretty good overnight wind storm and the thing is great. I didn't have any condensation problems with 2 people + all gear in there for the 2 nights we were on the mountain. It held up with no flapping in 35+ mph winds (platform was dug in a bit however). FYI the low temps were around 15 deg F. I would guess. At this point I have no complaints. We'll see on warmer weather spring trips though...

The internal vestible is a double edged sword on my EV3. I like the extra space (I'm 6'3") and it keeps my pack/boots/etc warmer and dryer but the extra volume it imparts means it's not as warm as a tent with an external vestibule. Cooking is more comfortable though and you can brushiebrusihie the snow/etc out the little floor zipper.

Edited by nhluhr