WeekendClimber.Com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice site, but your videos dont work

but you have a good humor section:

"REI

The ultimate location on the web and in real life for all things outdoors. From skiing and canoeing to backpacking and birdwatching, they really do have it all. They also provide some great information from the experts that work in the stores.

"

[laf][laf][laf]

[ 11-12-2002, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: greenfork ]

quote:

Originally posted by greenfork:

"We are constantly climbing, backpacking, and hiking to try and provide you with some of the most awe-inspiring wilderness photos we could possibly take."

-

looks like scotteryx has some competition!!!
[Eek!]

where do i send money??
[Cool]

No lockage [laf]

http://www.nwog.org/images/prusikwr100602/craig/dittle%20little%20dance.mpg

quote:

Originally posted by greenfork:

"We are constantly climbing, backpacking, and hiking to try and provide you with some of the most awe-inspiring wilderness photos we could possibly take."

-

looks like scotteryx has some competition!!!
[Eek!]

where do i send money??
[Cool]

Nothing more aggro than clipping shiny bolts in the "wilderness" [Roll Eyes] Maybe if it was a rusty bolt with a Beckey aluminum hanger with ratty slings I'd be inspired.

quote:

Originally posted by Weekend Climberz:

This is my personal website that I'm thinking about expanding into a larger more general climbing site for Washington State. I'm looking for some people who would be interested in doing some climbs and writing about them on my site.

You'll have a tough row to hoe, and you need to decide what your audience is. Trip reports for Talapus and Dewey Lakes aren't going to cut it if you're looking to be a climbing site. Much of the website terrain is already covered too, depending on your style and interest. This site, Scott'teryx's NWOG site, Summitpost, Alpinelite, ClimbingWashington, and probably a host of others I'm unaware of, not to mention many regional folks great personal sites have the issue covered from many different angles and styles. The presence of ads on your site suggests you're trying to make money doing this? That's gonna be even tougher. I recommend you conduct an in depth survey of what's out there, and consider what you can add or do better, treat it like writing a business plan. Soliciting trip reports from this site will not make your idea a success.

good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

not so, he recently posted at craghag.com under his popular alias agent orange. with some helpful advice no less.

I've climbed in Slovakia. I had to drink really hard to spend more than $30 a week whilst there. The exchange rate is very favorable. Apparently Poland's social environment is quite a bit different from Slovakias as well but that is no surprise.

quote:

You'll have a tough row to hoe, and you need to decide what your audience is. Trip reports for Talapus and Dewey Lakes aren't going to cut it if you're looking to be a climbing site. Much of the website terrain is already covered too, depending on your style and interest. This site, Scott'teryx's NWOG site, Summitpost, Alpinelite, ClimbingWashington, and probably a host of others I'm unaware of, not to mention many regional folks great personal sites have the issue covered from many different angles and styles. The presence of ads on your site suggests you're trying to make money doing this? That's gonna be even tougher. I recommend you conduct an in depth survey of what's out there, and consider what you can add or do better, treat it like writing a business plan. Soliciting trip reports from this site will not make your idea a success.

good luck.

Thanks for the input. After looking around for the past several months, the thing that I've found which is an advantage over other sites is that I use streaming video rather than having to download each clip. I've heard that there has been problems, but on all the machines I've tested it on, it works fine. The only problems I've encountered is if an older version of the player is installed. For the adds, I'm not using them to make money, just to help promote my site around the web. This has worked really well, and now I need to expand the content. Hence, the beginning of this post. To be honest the real reason I am doing this is to get out climbing more than I have recently, now that I have a digital camera/camcorder. I really wish I had that thing a few years back when I was on Rainier, Baker, Adams, Glacier Pk., Burgundy Spr, Three Sisters, and all the other misc. things that I did when I was more in shape.

[ 11-12-2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Weekend Climberz ]

quote:

This is my personal website that I'm thinking about expanding into a larger more general climbing site for Washington State. I'm looking for some people who would be interested in doing some climbs and writing about them on my site.

You might look up a guy who goes by the name of Crazy Polish Bob and a few other names. He is looking for a place where he can be a contributing poster. [sNAFFLEHOUND]

Dr. Flash Amazing's insightful musings, incisive rants, and stirring manifestos are available for syndication, if you're interested. E-mail for a rate schedule and a special offer on DFA's brilliant and exciting clip-up trip reports, photos of the approach to Smith, and handy advice on how to tick key holds, scrub chalk, and use rope tension to your advantage when no one's looking!

And dont forget to practice humility and admit you are gaper when you are gaper. Instead of upgrading everything you climb like some people. I am still waiting to see a trip report entitled: Castle Rock: Saber (V 5.11c) and I expect sooner or later I will [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

And dont forget to practice humility and admit you are gaper when you are gaper. Instead of upgrading everything you climb like some people. I am still waiting to see a trip report entitled:
Castle Rock: Saber (V 5.11c)
and I expect sooner or later I will
[laf]

Do you mean to tell me that Saber ain't 5.11c? Damn.

quote:

To be honest the real reason I am doing this is to get out climbing more than I have recently, now that I have a digital camera/camcorder.

How will your site help you get out more? Assuming you already have a job, won't running a site just take up more of your time, preventing you from getting out as often as you'd like? You say the ads aren't making you money, so I'm a bit confused.

[ 11-13-2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: slothrop ]