Old axe i picked up on ebay

Dhamma

Seller told me it was from turn of the century and he got it from an antique shop in Switzerland. He said it was a military man's axe, "AZ" bearing his initials. Can anyone who knows more than me confirm the age/authenticity? It looks like the original sling material on it. Makes a great conversation piece in my office!

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing 1940s-1950 (I think that carabiner holes came in the 50s? )

Maybe an expert will weigh in though. What did you pay?

ps, I have a similar axe in my basement with a Mfg name on it, some Euro company. It's seen a few easy summits with me. Good looking axe, love the richness of the wood. Nice find. Suggest wiping the metal down with Eezox to better preserve it.

I'm not sure of that one...but I do know that the earliest versions did not have teeth as seen in my photos below:

_mg_6272.jpg

The above image is a framed ice axe that I have on my wall. I believe this one was homemade as there are no markings denoting a company of any kind and it's teeth are barely visible.

_mg_6275.jpg

The two on the sides that are longer have no teeth...age is unknown by me but it would seem that axes with teeth are newer then axes without....I'd email Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO since he has such an extensive collection of mountaineering gear..

Edited by Joe_Poulton

I'm not sure of that one...but I do know that the earliest versions did not have teeth as seen in my photos below:

_mg_6272.jpg

The above image is a framed ice axe that I have on my wall. I believe this one was homemade as there are no markings denoting a company of any kind and it's teeth are barely visible.

_mg_6275.jpg

The two on the sides that are longer have no teeth...age is unknown by me but it would seem that axes with teeth are newer then axes without....I'd email Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO since he has such an extensive collection of mountaineering gear..

those are beautiful! did you varnish the handles?