camping/ lodging in Joshua tree

Applemaggot

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at http://joshuatree.org - they have camping in the park, saves a lot of commute time, and gives more time to climb as you can walk to a some of the climbs. The central CG is Hidden Valley CG where most of the climbers hangout.

Google the towns Joshua Tree, CA and Twentynine Palms, CA - they are near by and have some motel 6's.

One of the climbing shops at the entrance road has good showers - take water into the park, they have toilets but no water.

FYI, Unless you arrive early Wednesday morning of t-giving weekend, or earlier, it will be difficult to find a campsite even in some of the outlying campgrounds. I once got the last site at the last campground I checked, in White Tank or someplace that was way far from the climbing. So get there early if you can.

Can't help on the hotel but Yucca Valley will have the best variety.

At one point there was talk of a climbers ranch to be put up outside the park by the AAC or Access Fund- anyone know the status?

FYI, Unless you arrive early Wednesday morning of t-giving weekend, or earlier, it will be difficult to find a campsite even in some of the outlying campgrounds. I once got the last site at the last campground I checked, in White Tank or someplace that was way far from the climbing. So get there early if you can.

This is true, but with hundreds of sites available in the park, and lots of turnover each day, it really just comes down to dumb luck and timing. Get there in the morning and be prepared to spend time driving around every campsite and talk to people, especially if they have a spare parking spot in their site or are packing up. You might be able to squeeze in with someone (2 cars per site are allowed) or save yourself a spot as someone is getting ready to leave. If you talk to folks, you'll find something.

Hidden Valley is the best site for walking to climbing routes, so it's a hot commodity. Ryan is good too. After that, you're looking at Jumbo Rocks (full of RV's and families with kids) or further...

Yeah, that's a tough week to land a campsite. As Goatboy notes, when things are full, walking/biking the campgrounds and talking to folks is the key to squeezing in somewhere.

One tip if you're pulling in late and need a place to throw down: Blackrock campground is outside the main park and not ideal for climbing, but it will usually have open spots when everything else is packed. Save you from doing the midnight campground cruise.

At one point there was talk of a climbers ranch to be put up outside the park by the AAC or Access Fund- anyone know the status?

You talking about the "pit"?

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/986560/Camping_in-near_JT