New post

johndavidjr

Am tired of lack of new posts regarding Olympics.

Went up a west-side river some years ago with girl friend, who freaked at ford but was eventually convinced.

Magnificent dead-end valley. Saw an otter, a fresh elk horn, & (obviously) perfect climax forest. Met a young Fed ranger and a an old blithering guy. We didn't get too far and only spent one night.

Nothing alpine.

Apparently only a handful of people have managed to reach Queets Basin via this route, and it's horrible and stupid undertaking.

There was road wash-out problems here in recent years and am uncertain of current status.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Upper Lena Lake, Mt. Stone and Lake of the Angels are in Olympic National Park.

Mt. Townsend is in the Buckhorn Wilderness of Olympic National Forest.

I will be glad when they repair the Dosewallips River Road so it will be possible to drive to Muscott Flat again.

I think you are right that not many have accessed Queets Basin by hiking up the Queets River but here is a link to a report by someone that did it.

Link

It sounds like quite the adventure and there is nothing stupid about it.

Edited by Lazyboy

"Stupid" is hyperbole for intelligent travelers. Troublesome and difficult seems accurate.

As for Dosewallips, improving road access to so-called "wilderness" that lies 30 air-miles from one of nation's biggest cities; this would be very short-sighted.

Might seem to make sense now, but similar decisions will be made ad infinitum into future, all based on precident.

A relatively short time ago (circa 1920s-40s), plans for trans-Olympic highway were put on hold. No reason to believe current status quo is eternal.

Seems to me self-evidently bad idea.

Weird group called "Brinnonprosperity.org" sometimes posts on this Web site in favor of multi-zillion-dollar Fed road building into NP.

This group also has links to truly extremist wing-nut groups, plus a few very local real estate brokers, buried on its Web site.

The road reconstruction would start in Brinnon, (Pop. 803 including children etc.)

Brinnon has ice cream stand on Rt. 101.

A few regulars here go nuts when I've pointed this weird stuff out.

Seems to me self-evidently that they aren't the only wing-nuts who post on this site occasionally.

If I lived in a Brinnon and I had a business, I would most likely want it to prosper.

Like an ice cream stand for instance. I would rather my ice cream sold, not stale or melting. I like my ice cream cold.

And delicious.

Going to bat for a Route 101 ice cream stand in favor of "wilderness" is okay if that's what you prefer.

Here are some amusing, Palinesque links from Brinnon site.

Basically, it's about world-takeover by the United Nations

http://www.freedom21.org/what.html

Climate change is a hoax

http://brinnonprosperity.org/crichton2.html

Logging and mining at all cost:

http://community.pacificlegal.org/Page.aspx?pid=183

Unknown fantasy

http://www.john-daly.com/

Etc.

Too bad they removed link to "Christian" eyewitness

account of dragon flying over the ocean.

I love Washington, not least for its eccentrics.

Call it a repair. My understanding is, the road would be abandoned in part, and a new route cut along the sidehill.

Why not re-open the road north of Staircase Ranger Station? Much cheaper. Rebuild the bridge over Queets? Extend motor access along Hoh? That's a really boring walk; absolutely not necessary and hated by all the really serious and True Climbers. F**k walking!! That's for ignoramuses who haven't read Aynn Rand!

Endless stuff you could do like that... many cable car opportunities too for the ubermensch ice-cream stand realtors...so that "people can have access."

Thing is, that road up the Dosewallips was there for years, didn't seem to have an adverse affect on the wilderness. Why is repairing (replacing if you'd rather) it going to suddenly cause the decline of the ONP? Fact is, not that many people venture farther than a few miles from the trailhead, that's part of the joy of the range, and having that road back in service isn't going to make the backcountry any less lonely such as you'd notice. Oh, you might have some more people as far as Dose Forks, some of them might even be fat and drive a Winnebago, I suppose it's best we keep those people in their place.

Maybe the next time they have a rock slide over Highway 20 past Newhalem they should just retire the road, let the Liberty Bell chutes reclaim the asphalt. That's a great idea, isn't it?

Construction of Rt 20 was opposed by certain elements. It was completed in early 1970s.

It ought never to have been constructed. Without it, however, it's doubtful that a Jersey guy like me would know the Rainy/Wa Pass areas on many visits over many years.

There are hot-dog stands in certain towns, however, currently, that wouldn't exist.