Flu Vaccines

Kimmo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

original non-mutated virus

there is no "original non-mutated virus". every virus falls into the definitional category of "mutation".

So does every human. You obviously have the RTRD reading comprehension mutation.

:confused:

which part of the original assertion, "original non-mutated virus", baffles your reading comprehension?

there is no "original non-mutated virus". every virus falls into the definitional category of "mutation".

WOW! Where did you learn that? Did you go to school at all?

Our high school students interns are doing better than that.

oh come on man, don't get all defensive in front of the other students like that. bad form!

Please do not be another Pink.

if you admit to your gross error regarding viruses and apologize for being so rude, i promise i will pretend to know what you are talking about by contextualizing your above assertion.

And what is my gross error regarding viruses again?

So that I know before I am off to the lab to prep up more viral cultures.

hmmm...stuff to ponder...in light of this were small pox and polio vaccinations the real deal? Or did the little buggerz just die off?

Its a good question, Rudy, why vaccination has been so effective for diseases like smallpox and polio, but not for the flu? Anyone know? Maybe b/c it mutates so quickly?

Poliovirus and smallpox infect only humans and have no intermediate hosts, as is not the case with the flu that cross-infects birds, horses, pigs and humans as of today and then who knows. If there are no new victims to infect, viruses like polio and smallpox cannot longer survive in the environment because they are not capable of adapting to a different host. When coupled with their almost non-existing mutation potential, mass vaccination and containment were the major driving force in providing us with the life long immunity and complete eradication of the smallpox (nearly there for the polio).

That is not going to happen with the Influenzavirus. Being an RNA virus, it has high mutation rate and can infect the same host over and over again because the specific antibodies produced following flu infection or vaccination ONLY prevent subsequent infection of the original non-mutated virus - one reason why flu vaccines sometimes fail. Second, RNA genome of the flu virus often recombinates with other flue types or even those from other species resulting in hybrid viruses. Again, the new flu strains appear before the adaptive immune response is formed and/or vaccines are made.

FYI: The RNA retrovirus HIV (causes AIDS) has the highest mutation rates ever AND goes into the latent phase by hiding out in the resting T lymphocytes thereby completely failing an HIV vaccine as yet.

Thanks for the info. Sorry about the RTRDs.

I love how everyone with anything to say on this topic is:

1) A self-perceived expert

2) Correct

Perhaps we should give the flu to the experts (see above) that feel that a vaccine will:

1) Give them the flu

2) Not work

3) Give their kids Autism or cause a miscarriage

4) Give them Mad Hatter's Disease

Why not just take "Airborne"? It was invented by a teacher!!