Hebrew thread?

billcoe

Some musings:

It appears that the Pirate forum has been renamed the Bacon forum. I think thats a great idea, but why did you have to do this right on the cusp of Halloween, the only time of year that dressing up like a Pirate is socially acceptable?

Anyway, whats with all the Bacon? Are you aware Porter, that it's not Kosher, and banned in the Bible? Of course, I may only be suggesting that so that there is more bacon for me next time we are out camping. Perhaps we really need another meat thread as well for those who are biblical then? hebrew-national-beef-franks.jpg

I'd suggest sheep, but I'm afraid that most on this site think sheep are for sleeping with, and chasing around the meadows, and not for barbecuing to eat. I'd expect a bunch of this:

sexy_sheep.jpg

And don't even get me started on what a sheep forum would look like once people started posting trip reports. On the bright side, everyone up there in Enumclaw would be signing up though and you'd have a very active forum I suppose. I don't know what kind of advertisers that would draw. Maybe someone could flesh out that idea.

Kosher Kitty says: "can we get a Hebrew thread going as well?"

kosherkitty.jpg

No way Kosher Kitty: and aren't you suppose to be on the cat thread over there?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you a Jew, Bill?

Shalom.

I would be if I was to be something I suppose Mighty Mito, and I greatly respect those who are, but sadly, (other than being a member of the Jewish Community center for a few years so I could work out with my boy) I am not.

Shalom. :wave:

I didn't know the reasons behind the Jewish aversion to pork so I went looking.

"You will find that many Jews who do not observe the other Kashrut laws still refuse to eat pork.

Pork is seen as the ultimate "non-kosher" animal. The Torah considers an animal kosher if it both chews its cud AND has split hooves. The only animal species that has split hooves (trotters) and does not chew the cud is the pig family.

When you look at a pig, you will sooner notice the "split hooves" than the fact that it does not ruminate. When it lies, the pig almost seems to "show off" it's kosher qualities, as it spreads its trotters out.

So, the pig has come to represent hypocrisy, someone who shows themselves to be righteous, but is not-so-kosher on the inside. In Judaism, there is nothing more morally detestable than a spiritual charlatan.

Hence, the widespread aversion to pork among even non-observant Jews. (That's not to say that all Jews know this, it's been ingrained over centuries)."

if someone of the Jewish faith thinks this is inaccurate, i would like to know the true story.

How would you rate this (Not safe for work) site? http://www.yarmulkebra.com/collection.html

ps, I hope we can not turn this into some kind of a bashing thread, either each other or any religion or group. As far as penny pinching, it's not uncommon for any old world folks to be that way. When I was a kid, our neighbors had fled Hungry (Maygar) and were looking to become US citizens. My mom asked if my brothers and I could attend the ceremony, and they graciously took us under their wing and allowed us into share that experience: it was interesting and instructive. An interesting lesson which they shared with my brothers and myself. Later, these new citizens wanted to go on vacation and the father asked me if I could take care of their yard for 2 weeks. As a 3rd grader, I was happy to have the trust of adults, plus the money I would make and said sure. For 2 weeks I worked on that yard like no other. Weeds were pulled, it was mowed, trimmed, massaged and manicured. dead twigs were trimmed off plants etc etc. When they got back, the father was very, very pleased. He praised me, and gave me .50 cents handing it over said to me, "Here ya go, go buy yourself a gallon of Ice Cream".

What I learned was a very valuable lesson. Not that Jews were tight although in this case it was true as .50 cents would not have bought a gallon of cheap ice cream anywhere and was way below what I thought I would get or what anyone else would have asked for or given. No, I learned about contracts and discussing things in advance. It was a great lesson, and it changed my opinion of the family not at all. I pocketed the .50 cents and the lesson happily.

For 2 weeks I worked on that yard like no other. Weeds were pulled, it was mowed, trimmed, massaged and manicured. dead twigs were trimmed off plants etc etc. When they got back, the father was very, very pleased. He praised me, and gave me .50 cents handing it over said to me, "Here ya go, go buy yourself a gallon of Ice Cream".

What I learned was a very valuable lesson. Not that Jews were tight although in this case it was true as .50 cents would not have bought a gallon of cheap ice cream anywhere and was way below what I thought I would get or what anyone else would have asked for or given. No, I learned about contracts and discussing things in advance. It was a great lesson, and it changed my opinion of the family not at all. I pocketed the .50 cents and the lesson happily.

Sorry to hear that Bill.

You are welcome to work on my yard and I promise I will reward you with a more than 50 cents for the ice cream but unfortunately I am not a jew.

Sorry to hear that Bill.

Oh no, it wasn't a bad thing at all, sorry if I gave that impression. Sure I nashed my teeth briefly, but the lesson was good, and as they were genuinely good folks, it was OK. I later wound up working for Max Bernbach, who loved me and I thought highly of him as well. I have not yet seen the movie they made of him, but would like to at some time. Remarkable man for many reasons. One thing that I benefited from: he hired any and all holocaust survivors who needed a job, and that was a great lesson when I was a teenager as well bumping into some real worldly people.

BTW: My yard work days were over when climbing started:-)