Proposed dam on the Icicle - Leavenworth

kurthicks

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd pass the word that the National Fish Hatchery in Leavenworth, via stimulus money ($18M of the estimated $60M cost) from the Bureau of Reclamation, is planning on building a dam on Icicle Creek starting next year. It is to be located behind the Sleeping Lady Resort.

Public meetings will be held on December 1 from 1 to 3 p.m. and 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Alpine Room of the Enzian Hotel at 590 Highway 2 in Leavenworth.

More info here: http://watchery.wordpress.com/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does he propose that "The public view should be ingrained and reflected in the plan each step of the way."? Is it not already? Are our elected representatives not already involved in this planning?

You can't expect every individuals view being present in a planning stage, or assume that there is some "public view" concensus that should be "ingrained" in it.

The Bureau of Reclamations defense is legitimate. Government and private organizations are allowed to do planning without open town-hall public inclusion.

How does he propose that "The public view should be ingrained and reflected in the plan each step of the way."? Is it not already? Are our elected representatives not already involved in this planning?

You can't expect every individuals view being present in a planning stage, or assume that there is some "public view" concensus that should be "ingrained" in it.

The Bureau of Reclamations defense is legitimate. Government and private organizations are allowed to do planning without open town-hall public inclusion.

"The award, in an announcement from Senator Patty Murray’s office, gave few details about how the money would be spent — which was curious, because stimulus projects are supposed to be “shovel ready,” i.e., all-systems-go for groundbreaking. There also has been no specification of how many jobs would be created, another priority for stimulus funding. There has not even been an official description of the Leavenworth Hatchery project available to the public. (A brief mention is made on the BOR Web site.)"

Sounds llike a bait and switch to me.

This bit of misinformation is beginning to sound a lot like "death panels pulling the plug on granny." Yikes!

Show up to the meeting if you want legitimate details.

Suffice it to say though, this project will only IMPROVE fish passage on the Icicle ('cause there's already a dam there guys), at least up to the impassable natural barrier (visible upstream from SCT footbridge).

I distrust Wrecklamation as much as anybody, but they're actually doing something good here--for once.

This bit of misinformation is beginning to sound a lot like "death panels pulling the plug on granny." Yikes!

Show up to the meeting if you want legitimate details.

Suffice it to say though, this project will only IMPROVE fish passage on the Icicle ('cause there's already a dam there guys), at least up to the impassable natural barrier (visible upstream from SCT footbridge).

I distrust Wrecklamation as much as anybody, but they're actually doing something good here--for once.

Huh a dam that improves fish passage... right :crosseye:

If thier is a natural barrier then why would u allow for fish passage to somewhere that historically can not be reached by migratory fish?

Huh a dam that improves fish passage... right :crosseye:

If thier is a natural barrier then why would u allow for fish passage to somewhere that historically can not be reached by migratory fish?

The "dam" in question is a) about 1 foot high (needed only because the owner of Sleeping Lady Resort does not want a gravity-fed diversion system on her property--but continues to sue the USFWS for their failure to improve fish passage on the Icicle; i.e., NIMBY but I want it fixed anyway), b) will be located inside the existing canal (read: NOT in Icicle Creek but in a diversion ditch where salmon don't go unless they're lost!), and c) would negate the need for the current "dam" (which already has passage and doesn't even exist/operate for >9 months of the year) as well as a hydraulic jump (near the canal inlet) that is currently difficult for juvenile fish to pass at low flows. Collectively, these things will absolutely result in better fish passage, which is why a certain environmental group is supporting it.

Fish in the Icicle currently have passage up to the natural waterfall which is upstream of all of these changes. Nobody is talking about improving on nature to put them somewhere they've not been, justinp....

The "dam" in question is a) about 1 foot high (needed only because the owner of Sleeping Lady Resort does not want a gravity-fed diversion system on her property...

Good try.

The USFWS has grandfathered access and rights to rebuild the gravity fed system that already lies underneath this property. They are choosing not to exercise their legal easement and would rather construct a new project...

Good try.

The USFWS has grandfathered access and rights to rebuild the gravity fed system that already lies underneath this property. They are choosing not to exercise their legal easement and would rather construct a new project...

True statement. SLR absoltely does not want a new pipeline constructed across their property though. So that makes the FWS the bad guys because they don't want to take their neighbor to court to exercise their legal right? Hmmmmmm....

Given that, guess you gotta choose your battles in trying to improve the current situation. Build an insignificant diversion structure in a canal or spend gobs of taxpayer dollars taking your neighbor to court? I know what I'd choose.