all the things being equal...

RuMR

canmore's cool. 9 hour drive, or quick flight. it truly is gorgeous up there. i think yer gym-freak kids would really like the steeps. canmore's got some great restaurants, and lodging with hot tubs and the whole shebang. some of the crags require a bit of hiking though, specifically acephale (45 minutes to lower wall, another 15 to upper).

and yer kid can fire The Path! :tup:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've climbed at Yam, Grassi Lakes, the Raptor area and at Lake Loise. The climbing is really fun -- but the rock does not compare to granite or quartzite sandstone. I love mountain climbing in and around Canmore -- but when it comes to cragging it doesn't compare to places like the New, Red or City of Rocks.

I've climbed at Yam, Grassi Lakes, the Raptor area and at Lake Loise. The climbing is really fun -- but the rock does not compare to granite or quartzite sandstone. I love mountain climbing in and around Canmore -- but when it comes to cragging it doesn't compare to places like the New, Red or City of Rocks.

yeah grassi lakes aint all that, never went to yam or raptor, but come on, lake louise? awesome solid rock and fun techie and powerful! and you never sampled the better steep limestone either, it sounds like....

i would agree though that the red looks awesome, the new is good, having been there (the city sucks), but AUGUST? yer a mad dog, my man.

rudy, online stuff your googling is as good as mine. got an older guidebook, that's it. if you decide to go, definitely check on reservations cuz it might get crowded.

reservations?? It ain't like i'm staying at the crown victoria!!

any thoughts on spain or italy or france, or wyoming???

what are you doing next summer?

okay fine then. but you might even check into camping reservations cuz, well, you just should. we went years ago and got lucky with campsites; this time we had a rez but it seemed like camping was kinda full.

i know nothing about europe in summertime. gets kinda hot, no? but ceuse is in season? actually went to wyoming in july one year, wild iris, and it was good. it's high up there, 7,000 feet i think.

ahhh what are we doing next summer? that's a long way off. if we score some of these projects we're vying for, then making reservations at the crown victoria. if not, then maybe serving you yer next latte at starbucks.

Rudy, what about Banff? Never climbed up there but I have heard good things. Plus, if you are planning on a month it might be good for the rest of the family. I did that trip in a motor home with my family around Drew's age for 2 weeks and it was a blast.

yeah grassi lakes aint all that, never went to yam or raptor, but come on, lake louise? awesome solid rock and fun techie and powerful! and you never sampled the better steep limestone either, it sounds like....

i would agree though that the red looks awesome, the new is good, having been there (the city sucks), but AUGUST? yer a mad dog, my man.

I'm not saying the climbing around Canmore isn't great --- I've climbed there 3 times and loved every minute of it. Lake Louise is great climbing - as is Yamnuska and Grassi Lakes and you have hundred of alternatives for longer alpine routes if the weather is good. (And if the high pressure looks like it will last then drive 4 hours to the Bugs!)

And yes... August at the New can be hot! But it's no different then places like Thailand in November or the City in July.

(the city sucks)

Yeah, ever since they shut down The Dolphin there's just not anything hard enough there anymore, right?

I think the City is just fine for those cragging in the 5.9 to middling 5.11 range, but its days as a major Euro destination are long over. Its also a better destination for a week than a month.

(the city sucks)

Yeah, ever since they shut down The Dolphin there's just not anything hard enough there anymore, right?

I think the City is just fine for those cragging in the 5.9 to middling 5.11 range, but its days as a major Euro destination are long over. Its also a better destination for a week than a month.

for harder climbs yeah it's short on them, but the reason is sucks for me is thus:

one year, snow and winds the whole time early summer.

next time cold and winds the whole time later summer. then pulled out dead kid from truck he rolled driving way too fast down the dirt road.

i prefer j tree for similar climbing.

I'm not interested in that shit pile over index...and certainly not for an extended trip...

Joseph, regarding what you are saying, that is what is so special about SE sandstone...it has it all...roofs, tech slabs, vertical crimpfests, overhangs, cracks, yada yada yada...

I grew up two hours from the crags in Southern Illinois, but only climbed there for the first time last spring. The weathered sandstone has wild pockets, huecos, etc. Top that off with stone that is super grippy on your feet but easier on your skin than crystalline granite and it was a blast. The lines weren't as aesthetic or long as elsewhere, but the athleticism was that the stone afforded was wild compared to granite. It felt like being in gym outside.

3355271312_3d9d71c1ae_m.jpg

So Ill sandstone. I met the climber, Kevin, by showing up at the crags with a harness and shoes and makin friendly. This is Never Pass a Pump (5.10) at Drapers. Good stuff.

I wouldn't go there in the summer. February/early March when I was there it hit 80 one day. No joke.

Edited by Jake_Gano