I need a bag for winter mountaineering...

Dhamma

Ive got a Marmot Pinnacle 15Deg bag I use for backpacking and non-winter mountaineering, but I'm planning on doing a few 14ers this winter and I think a warmer bag would be needed and I'm looking for advice.

I'm considering getting a below zero rated bag like the Western Mountaineering Puma -25 or the Feathered Friends equivalent, but I'm wondering also if a 0 Degree bag like the Western Mountaineering Kodiak might be sufficient. I don't want to have to buy another bag if I decide to do a bigger mountain some day.

Advice?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a Marmot Pinnacle 15Deg bag I use for backpacking and non-winter mountaineering, but I'm planning on doing a few 14ers this winter and I think a warmer bag would be needed and I'm looking for advice.

I'm considering getting a below zero rated bag like the Western Mountaineering Puma -25 or the Feathered Friends equivalent, but I'm wondering also if a 0 Degree bag like the Western Mountaineering Kodiak might be sufficient. I don't want to have to buy another bag if I decide to do a bigger mountain some day.

Advice?

It all depends on you. Some people sleep cold and others sweat there assess off while sleeping. My wife is a polar bear and is almost never cold. I get cold quickly.

imo i think a 15 deg and 0 deg can be made close when it comes to comfort...you could sleep with an extra layer or two on and prob get similar results...if you sleep on the cold side and/or you think you'll be doing larger mountains pursue a -20...if you sleep on the warm side and prob wont hit up a larger mountain (even if you do you can rent for that 3 week period) pick up a 0 degree...marmot lithium is a nice one to look as well as the ones you mentioned

I need a bag for winter mountaineering...

Bags are $25 but have a lot of stems, seeds and shake in them at that price.

ps, I think Feather Friends or Western Mountaineering bags are the way to go. Much higher quality down.

not my bags bro. haha. we don't do seeds and sticks in norcal.

I just picked this up for 545 shipped in long

WM Lynx

Edited by Dhamma

dude, a friend brought a dark star on a kayak trip; that thing is ridiculous. Antarctica is the only place you could ever have that be necessary!

Dhamma, another vote for a down 0 deg. You dont need amy more than that. Extra layers/downy jacket will provide enough extra if you feel you might need it. below that, you better be doing some gnarly high altitude or alaska winter camping

I just got a nice 20 degree bag from the REI scrathc and dent sale. Weighs less than pound so now I can throw in my insulated P3D pants and Das Parka.
For some reason this does not sound quite right... a 20 degree bags that weighs less than 1 pound? Is it a half bag or sumpin?

You were right.

http://www.rei.com/product/731678

29 oz.

It just feels so light though.

I near froze my ass off once due to sleeping in down in Wal-Mart tent in blizzard and getting drenched with condensation collected on waterproof floor.

For some years following I swore off down. My winter bag was NF minus-twenty job. In fear I took it on a few autumn trips and wrecked its loft by stuffing it over a couple of weeks.

Back to mainly using 30-yr-old REI down sleeping bag (now always with light bivy sack). Not extremely warm, but not a pain in ass to pack, and can be supplemented with various clothes.

Have mainly sworn off the tent floors.

Don't buy a new bag. Use the bag you've got.

Wear all your warm clothes.

Build decent windbreak-walls 'round your tent.

Take some hot water bottles. Boil the snow, fill the bottles.

Wear a balaclava.

And snack on a bit of chocolate (stored in your bag) in the early hours to replenish energy and morale.

A decent sleeping pad may well be the bigger concern.

If it's too cold-a-suffering for the above. Then you can stay warm sleeping under your bed at home.

Keep warm, but stay cool