Beacon

kevbone

Joe you sure think you speak for everyone at Beacon !! You under mind everything good about it, you send bull shit emails to anyone that you think that well go along with your bullshit . And the people that don't go along with your own very special bullshit rules about Beacon you send hate mail too them or virus in your emails like what you did to me !! Your post is just another way to let people think that your someone LOL , SORRY BUD JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND ITS OPEN ASK THE RANGERS!!!

I'm no one and speak for no one but myself. I'm just trying to give you a heads-up things are highly unusual this year, that there is uncertainty with regard to the true status of the fledges, and there is a outside possibility the open could be stalled if the fledges are still in the nest. The WSP could decide to open Monday even if the fledges are in the nest - it's their call to make - but that decision would entail significant complications of its own.

They have made the decision already, but as usual you are making an effort to confuse the climbing community, and additionally come off as if you have some say in the matter.

I also find it interesting how you are "supposedly" monitoring the peregrines for the biologist, but seem to think that the owl is a new appearance. He's been around at least 2 years that I know of.

Maybe your eyesight is going, or maybe you aren't doing the job you want everyone to think you're doing.

They have made the decision already, but as usual you are making an effort to confuse the climbing community, and additionally come off as if you have some say in the matter.

I also find it interesting how you are "supposedly" monitoring the peregrines for the biologist, but seem to think that the owl is a new appearance. He's been around at least 2 years that I know of.

Maybe your eyesight is going, or maybe you aren't doing the job you want everyone to think you're doing.

Karl was working hard on climbers' behalf to get it open Friday. David is inclined to open the 15th, but wants to know if the fledges are in the nest - i.e. everyone wants it open tomorrow, you, me, Karl, David - but if the fledges are still in the nest that would be complicating. They might still open, but then again they might not - I don't know because I have no role or say in that. Let's just hope the nest is empty.

The are several good size owls out there, two closely associated with the South Face - neither are Great Horned Owls. There was a Great Horned Owl out there nearby to the west for a number of years, but a couple of years ago it was found with a broken wing highly suggestive of Peregrine strike. No Great Horned Owls were seen close to the rock since then until quite recently which has just added to the speculation.

P.S. I spent nine hours "supposedly monitoring" in the past eight days that I'd rather have spent been climbing. And I didn't do it "for the biologist", I did it in the hope of climbing as early as possible.

Well, it would be way more productive if you all just watched the governing state and federal laws / policies and the people who would have to say yes to you, instead of me. Or take a road trip to Eldo and talk to those guys about how they manage their relationship with the Colorado State Parks - good climbing and I'm sure they'd be happy to show you around.

It well be more productive if you Stop Emailing Adam, and the other people that are trying too get a buffer zone at Beacon. We know about there policies and there efforts too manage the birds there and the climbing community. So tell me why can't it work here ?? because of your fucked up efforts here to control things you that you have no idea about!!Joe keep your dirty little nose out of the Beacon rock community , you have replaced bolts moved anchors, and just made yourself NOT welcome any were!!

Edited by Dennis H

Beacon Rock Climbing Association and the local contingent of climbers welcomes all climbers to Beacon Rock. As of tomorrow the southeast, south, and southwest faces are open for climbing.

Actually there has been no nest activity for weeks per Jim Opdyke(who has been volunteer observing the peregrines but whose observations are not utilized by the biologist), and none today. Seems like Beacon Rock should have been open weeks ago such as the other areas such as Index and Smith, etc. The biologist and his "monitor" have made no effort to verify whether there are birds or no birds all this time, and then appear to be using tactics trying to throw the opening date into question so folks don't show up to climb, such as waiting until the day before the opening to "check" the nest, even though the lack of activity should have been followed up on long ago. When Park closures are rappant, and each park has to support it own budget, it seems very strange to be chasing people away from Beacon Rock State Park. But don't let all this political crap scare you away from Beacon folks. It is a geat place to climb, we watch out for and support the peregrines, and have the best crack climbing around! Come on out tomorrow, and buy your year round Discovery Pass from the Rangers for $35 and support Beacon Rock State Park. All the climbing beta you can handle, as the locals will be there and should be a fun day with many climbs going down. Welcome one and all!!

Beacon Rock Climbing Association and the local contingent of climbers welcomes all climbers to Beacon Rock. As of tomorrow the southeast, south, and southwest faces are open for climbing.

Actually there has been no nest activity for weeks per Jim Opdyke(who has been volunteer observing the peregrines but whose observations are not utilized by the biologist), and none today. Seems like Beacon Rock should have been open weeks ago such as the other areas such as Index and Smith, etc. The biologist and his "monitor" have made no effort to verify whether there are birds or no birds all this time, and then appear to be using tactics trying to throw the opening date into question so folks don't show up to climb, such as waiting until the day before the opening to "check" the nest, even though the lack of activity should have been followed up on long ago. When Park closures are rappant, and each park has to support it own budget, it seems very strange to be chasing people away from Beacon Rock State Park. But don't let all this political crap scare you away from Beacon folks. It is a geat place to climb, we watch out for and support the peregrines, and have the best crack climbing around! Come on out tomorrow, and buy your year round Discovery Pass from the Rangers for $35 and support Beacon Rock State Park. All the climbing beta you can handle, as the locals will be there and should be a fun day with many climbs going down. Welcome one and all!!

Enjoy :)

Actually there has been no nest activity for weeks per Jim Opdyke(who has been volunteer observing the peregrines but whose observations are not utilized by the biologist), and none today. Seems like Beacon Rock should have been open weeks ago such as the other areas such as Index and Smith, etc. The biologist and his "monitor" have made no effort to verify whether there are birds or no birds all this time, and then appear to be using tactics trying to throw the opening date into question so folks don't show up to climb, such as waiting until the day before the opening to "check" the nest, even though the lack of activity should have been followed up on long ago.

That right there is a damn straight classic dem-vs-us, someone-gone-done-us-wrong, conspiracy rant. It's got it all. Absolutely love it. Well, let's take it from the top...

Despite whatever Jim would like to believe, there has been "nest activity" in the past several weeks with adults coming and going from the nest and in fact there was finally fledge activity today. We did have about a ten day gap where we couldn't seem to catch the fledges out so couldn't make a definitive call on their flight capabilities. And, lordy, unfortunately without definitive observations, the rock can't be opened early.

Wish it was a spit into the wind, guessing sort of deal, but it's not. But it sure is heartening to hear Jim is spending so much time down at the boat launch with binoculars, given that's the only place you can make "nest activity" observations. No activity here...

IMG_09024.JPG

IMG_08984.JPG

As for "made no effort" - wow, that's it! You got me! I've been driving up to Beacon and staring through binoculars for hours at a time for the past two weeks instead of climbing just to fuck with you. Genius.

In the end though, it is good to see some honest talk about what you really think.

As it is, we can all be glad there were no fledges in nest given the phrase "emergency re-closure" had been bandied about on Friday.

Actually there has been no nest activity for weeks per Jim Opdyke(who has been volunteer observing the peregrines but whose observations are not utilized by the biologist), and none today. Seems like Beacon Rock should have been open weeks ago such as the other areas such as Index and Smith, etc. The biologist and his "monitor" have made no effort to verify whether there are birds or no birds all this time, and then appear to be using tactics trying to throw the opening date into question so folks don't show up to climb, such as waiting until the day before the opening to "check" the nest, even though the lack of activity should have been followed up on long ago. When Park closures are rappant, and each park has to support it own budget, it seems verystrange to be chasing people away from Beacon Rock State Park. But don't let all this political crap scare you away from Beacon folks. It is a geat place to climb, we watch out for and support the peregrines, and have the best crack climbing around! Come on out tomorrow, and buy your year round Discovery Pass from the Rangers for $35 and support Beacon Rock State Park. All the climbing beta you can handle, as the locals will be there and should be a fun day with many climbs going down. Welcome one and all!!

Beacon Rock Climbing Association and the local contingent of climbers welcomes all climbers to Beacon Rock.

Thanks for the invite, nice to know everyone else is now approved for climbing there

i gotta re-read the verbiage, but the Asian Exclusion Act might still be in effect :)

my first summer in years i wasn't there for the opening :( luckily, this here beach-paradise of bandon done got sweeeet boulders to scramble all over da place :)