Beacon

kevbone

Just a note that the WSP did without 90% of it's general revenue funding last year and is going to eat the final 10% this year making it wholly dependent on the Discovery Pass funds. As a result they've had to implement another slashing round of cuts.

Those cuts amount to about 40% of employee hours with a shitload of folks being bumped from fulltime to seasonal employees. At Beacon that has meant Breanne has been bumped back to part time and Ben has been bumped down to a 5-month seasonal ranger. He can't support a family on that and mid next month will be his last day. After that he'll be looking for full-time work if anyone knows of any. He can go back for 5 months later in the spring, but hopefully he'll be able to find a job before then. Vivian missed the axe by two bodies and basically anyone hired from 2003 on got whacked.

Also, Erik's job up in Olympia as SW Regional Finance and Personnel Director was eliminated in a spate of deep WSP headquarters staff cuts, but he fortunately has enough seniority to pull down a ranger job in Grays Harbor. Bummer all the way around given the BRSP rangers and staff were already overtaxed before this round of cuts; now they'll be way under the gun over the summer. If they end up short of funds from the Discovery Passes then the next round will start closing parks.

P.S. I'd have thought after seven years of back and forth posts on the topic you guys might have a basic clue and at least bothered to look into the most fundamental aspects of the closure, but apparently not. So to the point - and for about the millionth time - THE WSP/BRSP ONLY ENFORCES THE CLOSURE, THEY HAVE NO SAY WHATSOEVER IN ITS MANAGEMENT. You want to talk with someone about the closure? Then you have to talk with David Anderson and the 'man' over at WDFW (you know, the guys Kenny works for...). All Karl and the BRSP can do is look at your shit, nodd their heads empathetically, and then pass it on to David. It's utterly and completely pointless talking to the Audubon, the BRSP, your state senator, each other or anyone else. You want to talk turkey about Peregrines? Then just head over to WDFW and talk to David.

Just a note that the WSP did without 90% of it's general revenue funding last year and is going to eat the final 10% this year making it wholly dependent on the Discovery Pass funds. As a result they've had to implement another slashing round of cuts.

Those cuts amount to about 40% of employee hours with a shitload of folks being bumped from fulltime to seasonal employees. At Beacon that has meant Breanne has been bumped back to part time and Ben has been bumped down to a 5-month seasonal ranger. He can't support a family on that and mid next month will be his last day. After that he'll be looking for full-time work if anyone knows of any. He can go back for 5 months later in the spring, but hopefully he'll be able to find a job before then. Vivian missed the axe by two bodies and basically anyone hired from 2003 on got whacked.

Also, Erik's job up in Olympia as SW Regional Finance and Personnel Director was eliminated in a spate of deep WSP headquarters staff cuts, but he fortunately has enough seniority to pull down a ranger job in Grays Harbor. Bummer all the way around given the BRSP rangers and staff were already overtaxed before this round of cuts; now they'll be way under the gun over the summer. If they end up short of funds from the Discovery Passes then the next round will start closing parks.

P.S. I'd have thought after seven years of back and forth posts on the topic you guys might have a basic clue and at least bothered to look into the most fundamental aspects of the closure, but apparently not. So to the point - and for about the millionth time - THE WSP/BRSP ONLY ENFORCES THE CLOSURE, THEY HAVE NO SAY WHATSOEVER IN ITS MANAGEMENT. You want to talk with someone about the closure? Then you have to talk with David Anderson and the 'man' over at WDFW (you know, the guys Kenny works for...). All Karl and the BRSP can do is look at your shit, nodd their heads empathetically, and then pass it on to David. It's utterly and completely pointless talking to the Audubon, the BRSP, your state senator, each other or anyone else - you want to talk turkey about Peregrines? Then just head over to WDFW and talk to David.

great points-wrong forum

some sauce-age would help. (linkies as you call them here)

Oh, and calling YOUR [Washingtonian] congress... type folk in order to talk to the intern so sweetly as to convince them that they should hand a note saying "what you like" is stuper fun.

I think they [interns] might wet their panteeeeeeeez when this happens :rolleyes:

Bill on the SE Corner today, bluebird for January!

January_2012_020.JPG

Kyle shows Bill his modified hooks after rope soloing Winter Delight. Nice one Kyle

January_2012_031.JPG

Geoff rope soloing the second pitch of Free for Some, getting er done in a fast time!

January_2012_034.JPG

Some young lass on a onsight of Windsufer

January_2012_041.JPG\

Bill and Jim reminicing as the season draws to a close. See ya Beacon in another 6 months!

January_2012_048.JPG

Also heard that Ivan, Kenny, Adam, Dave, and others were out but did not lap them. 8D

Kind of like fixed ropes when you think no one is around?

You guys can keep lying about Jeff's rope, but I didn't take it. Sure I took it...that must be why, when I heard I'd taken "Geoff's rope", I immediately tracked down Geoff Silverman to try and figure out what it was all about. Had I taken Jeff Thomas' rope down he'd have it back and you'd have known about it because I would have posted it up here.

I don't sneak around doing shit like cutting down trees and destroying route variations - I do what I do out in the open and post up about it here. So no, I didn't take the rope, didn't destroy the trail, but did complain about some fucking moron cutting down the Jimney tree and did vehemently comment on the deliberate rape and destruction of the YW p2 variation by some total pinheads intent on bolting it.

Look, you can remain a clueless, lying idiot, or - if you want to lift or modify the closure - get a moderate grip on reality, try to find a modicum of integrity, stop making shit up and lying through your teeth, and learn something about how the closure works and who you'd have to have an honest relationship with in order to attempt to do anything about it.

?

Kind of like fixed ropes when you think no one is around?

You guys can keep lying about Jeff's rope, but I didn't take it. Sure I took it...that must be why, when I heard I'd taken "Geoff's rope", I immediately tracked down Geoff Silverman to try and figure out what it was all about. Had I taken Jeff Thomas' rope down he'd have it back and you'd have known about it because I would have posted it up here.

I don't sneak around doing shit like cutting down trees and destroying route variations - I do what I do out in the open and post up about it here. So no, I didn't take the rope, didn't destroy the trail, but did complain about some fucking moron cutting down the Jimney tree and did vehemently comment on the deliberate rape and destruction of the YW p2 variation by some total pinheads intent on bolting it.

Look, you can remain a clueless, lying idiot, or - if you want to lift or modify the closure - get a moderate grip on reality, try to find a modicum of integrity, stop making shit up and lying through your teeth, and learn something about how the closure works and who you'd have to have an honest relationship with in order to attempt to do anything about it.

No need to quote it, dude - I wouldn't think of deleting or changing a word of it. Again, and unlike you, when it comes to Beacon, my business is on the up and up, completely public, and out in the open.

P.S. And don't worry, you guys will have a whole new season coming up to apologize for lying about me taking Jeff's rope...

I can vouch for the rope thing.

No way JH stole dude's rope. He'd be way more likely to give you a rope. If he removed it for some reason, I'm sure he would give it back with an explanation about why he removed it.

agreed - dude's got plenty of gnarly old ropes already and, though socially retarded by his own admission, far more likely to write a Strongly Worded and Overly Long diatribe online about it then to snigger in private

on the positive side, despite feeling undeniably glum that this Tragedy with Undertones of Tradition is once again setting in, i can take comfort in yet another weekend having a fuckton of fun w/ the closest thing i have to friends these days - and more! yesterday i saw for only the 2nd time in a decade the site of sea lions frolicking about the bay below the Land of the Little People and scaring shit out of the whole avian-race down there :)

40% chance of rain for closing day, anyone up for a lap or two? (weather permitting, of course)

If it's dry, I will be out. Look me up.

how damp did it get today? i couldn't be out there earlier than 4 i don't think, but the moon is getting pretty near full, isn't it?