Beacon

kevbone

yikes I was just on that midweek

ALERT! There is a large detached hanging rock, (100 lbs?), on the 3rd pitch of the SE Corner route on Beacon Rock.

It is located as you near the topout to the left of the perfect little mini dihedral where there is a sandy ledge on the right at the top of the dihedral. The block is the lowest of 3 stacked blocks and has nothing under it to hold it in place. I stepped on it, and felt it move, so climbed down and looked at it, and it has detached about 1/4 inch or so, and the moss and lichen pulled away. It is just suspended there. So it could go with the next person to step on it, or it might take a crowbar but I doubt it. when it goes, if on lead, its a rope chopper, and right in line to take out the belayer on Tree ledge. Maybe next person take some white paint up and put a large "X" on it, until it can be dealt with.

I should re-state this. Its on the 4th pitch of the SE Corner, if you count the traverse as a pitch.

I have never counted the traverse as a pitch because you climb from the ground to snag then over to the base of the slab in one pitch. That is how Jim taught me......

I'd agree that the 2nd pitch starts after the traverse but I suppose it is really up to the FA party for the "official" pitch layout. Anyone trundle that belay slayer yet?

Glorious day at Beacon today, the winter solstice. Not a breath of wind and the sun came out. YW was still to wet to climb. Its freezing at night, and so its slick in the morning where its wet.

I checked out the loose block again, and it didn't move this time, but it all right there looks like its not going to hang around that much longer.

Glorious day at Beacon today, the winter solstice. Not a breath of wind and the sun came out. YW was still to wet to climb. Its freezing at night, and so its slick in the morning where its wet.

I checked out the loose block again, and it didn't move this time, but it all right there looks like its not going to hang around that much longer.

Damnit, I was on kid duty all day and keep looking over there wishing I could get out. Anyone up for this Friday if it stays dry enough?

• 4 weeks later...
no bitching out of season!

instead of bitching, i'm going to climb "stone soup" ;)

yer turning into a 1-trick wonder son! need to finish my other line on that side so you at least haven't somethign else to be a passive-aggressive whiner about. :)

Pink already led that Ivan and he named "bloody hemorrhoid"...but he didn't' tell anyone. So go ahead and climb it and then he'll speak up afterwards and tell you had he did it 20 years back and he doesn't like yer new name. :cry:

nahhhh, no way he climbed this thing or he'd still have the poison oak scars to show for it! :P

no bitching out of season!

instead of bitching, i'm going to climb "stone soup" ;)

yer turning into a 1-trick wonder son! need to finish my other line on that side so you at least haven't somethign else to be a passive-aggressive whiner about. :)

i'm just pokin fun strawberry short cake, u seriously shouldn't take me so seriously :)

Pink already led that Ivan and he named "bloody hemorrhoid"...but he didn't' tell anyone. So go ahead and climb it and then he'll speak up afterwards and tell you had he did it 20 years back and he doesn't like yer new name. :cry:

bill, love you too stud muffin :)

nahhhh, no way he climbed this thing or he'd still have the poison oak scars to show for it! :P

never had a reaction to that stuff, but hey i bet those scars are sexy as hell ;)