Beacon

kevbone

beacon saturday - total failure on the new route to be: jensen's rectum :( - woulda been exciting climbing, but doable, were it not that jugging the fixed line was obviously a bad idea, just 20 feet off the ground - salvaged the day w/ a very, very windy frolic up the corner and a lap on windsurfer

scene of my near death

[video:youtube]

mike on the slab - the irascible tappet bro numbero uno even made a brief appearnce on the ground con su novia

can someone please that pin back inthe corner notch? holy shit, if there's ever a need for pro there, its on a day like this, and there really is no proper gear to be had there

wind, wind, everywhere

half-baked memorial on the trail? curious trash

I saw #2 Tappet (#1?) unloading his car Saturday as we cruised by at @ 9:30...cig dangling out his mouth James Dean style as the wind bent the trees and howled. I honked (a tad late)... reached over and cranked the heater up as we continued down the road.

Ivan, what happened to your jugging near death thing?

I saw #2 Tappet (#1?) unloading his car Saturday as we cruised by at @ 9:30...cig dangling out his mouth James Dean style as the wind bent the trees and howled. I honked (a tad late)... reached over and cranked the heater up as we continued down the road.

Ivan, what happened to your jugging near death thing?

where were you heading? does your secret crag also feature no wind? :)

like to think i've learned my lesson on jugging - pretty much just use static lines these days, and if it feels wrong i stop - this time the wind was so strong it was causing me to swing, scarping the rope over 5-6 feet of roof per cycle, sending crazy vibrations down through the cord - it felt WRONG, and mike was going to have to follow me as well, so figured i'd be just as happy w/ an intact static line and life and a run up the corner in challenging conditions - now will the wind be not howling between now and birdie-closure date?

• 4 weeks later...

Had to go out to rescue my gear off Psychic Wound. After trying to get to the top of the second pitch we had to bail. I down aided and then fell about 20 ft. when some of my body weight placements got tired. Soft catch by Steve, but set him and the porta-ledge for a ride. He lowered me off from that point. We pulled the rope and went back today to rap and clean the route. 34 pieces is what I cleaned. I was only 20 ft. from the anchor. DAMN IT! We rapped in successfully, and I cleaned the gear from the anchor I built off two bolts and a tri-cam. I had to pendulum over to my line but was able to pull it off. WOW is was windy today. We beat the storm and got back to the car and sorted gear. We finished sorting just as the snow started to fall in the parking lot.

What a fun trip!

The ledge did not like the winds. It was like riding a bucking bronco at times but it made the belay stint much more relaxing and chill. I even had my foam pad and sleeping bag in the haul bag in case I had to warm up but never came to that. Those heat packets for the hands did the trick. The only REAL excitement was in the darkness when Plaid stripped a few pieces and yanked me and the ledge out of the Dutchman corner and into the Physic corner. I couldn't figure out where I was until I got my headlamp on and found I was out of the ledge just hanging there. tons of fun.

bears is a popular climb w/ the hardman-types - it's easy to aid if'n yer a coward :)

so wtf? did ya'll spend the night out there? gnarly, gnarly. ya'll might like rapping into big ledge and spending hte night there before the closure - upper stephenwulf is a bitch'n aid climb.

No, didn't spend the night. Just broke the ledge down and rapped in the dark.

Will have to get on Bears next summer, ouch that hurts to say that. Less then 3 weeks left of the season. I might have to take your advice and get on Steppenwulf Ivan. Is it 1 pitch or 2 off of Big Ledge? Anchors good?

my tr from last january has good pix n' prose, and holy-shit, some actual useful beta: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=935755 :)

you might like a short stickclip but it ain't essential - from big-ledge (and you can aid p1 of course - even in the damp it's not too hard to free to the cave belay, and then it's a long c1 pitch to big ledge), it's about 50 meters to a great stance and 4 belay bolts - there's a hanging belay along the way i recommend skipping - the first 25 meters in almost all gear, w/ 1 or 2 antique pin/pin-stacks you can clip, and very steep - past the hanging anchor it's mostly old bolts, w/ the occasional decent one thrown in - the times i've done it i've found a hand-placed beak, talon-hook and skyhook all necessary for that 2nd part (and its nice having the belayer down on big ledge so you don't fall into him, which is not impossible on the wackiest bolt ladder i've seen :) ). i have NOT done the last pitch to the top of the norseman's head (the trail is a simple scramble from there), but i did discover this summer a fat set of anchors and huge rap rings there. that last pitch looks serious, and fun!

stephenwulf rocks - this time of year, for punkass aid climbers like ourselves, you'd be very, very hardpressed to go groudn to trail in a day.

and big ledge itslef is a rocking place to spend the night - easy place to hang a ledge from and sleep, and you can still easily sit around and rock out on the ledge itself...