Beacon

kevbone

The climbers are going to have to be migratory to survive this Beacon closure. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Keep stoke alive! Kevbone, pull some strings and get some section of Beacon open.

new_image2.jpg

i spy a Beacon Rock Lifer :tup:

Edited by pink

goods new (sorta) - i'm chagrined to admit i bitched to the rangers about stone soup being closed last month and it appears the park actually consented to move the closure barrier back - wow, sometimes they DO listen? jesus, this shakes the very foundation of so many of my core assumptions about authority, democracy, and the existence of the flying spaghetti monster

so.....

...stone soup is currently the ONLY climbing to be had on beacon rock at the moment :)

tape still across the trail at the parking lot, but apparently you're granted permission to cross it to the trench n' no further

it goes to the top - best to rap w/ 2 60s or a single 70 - fun to top-rope the lower wall by either doing the first pitch of stone soup or scrambling up the mountie route on the far right side

no better time than ever to grid-bolt the parking lot wall :grin:

the rest of the north side should be open, frankly, most especially including siege tactics, but reckon that's the next thing to fight about...

reckon i should be at least a little thankful :)

Ask JH this question and you'll have to read 14 pages on politics/sales 101 before you even get a straight answer - if you get a straight answer

Actually, my answers are the only straight answers to be had here about Beacon with respect to the closure.

That's because you guys ALWAYS start with the end premise and belief that there is no legal or legitimate basis for the closure and have repeatedly attempted to bulldog your way backwards from there searching for anything and anyone to support your position - a position which has never changed from 1996 to today. And because you start with that end in mind you are constantly twisting every single aspect of any discussion of the closure to fit your incontestable and unshakable preset belief. And at every turn you've shown again and again that it's all us versus them, we're victims, they're the oppressive 'man' and that's the way it has to be. And until Bill stepped up a couple of months ago all of your actions have been adversarial and publicly dishonest with respect to what you really believe.

The point I'm getting at is that the extremes are what are really affecting this issue, and we have very few moderates speaking up (I mean seriously speaking up and getting active) who can agree that a balance is best. We need the moderates to start stepping up if we ever want to see any changes.

Seriously? I mean FUCKING SERIOUSLY? I was the moderate local who finally decided to dig into the whole closure business after a listening to a decade of endless and ceaseless whining. I did speak up and I did get active. I put on my objective journalist hat and interviewed every single human involved with the '96 closure. I started to learn the laws, policy and the biology around the peregrines and the closure. I then tried to convince the lot of you that the only way forward was to learn to monitor, learn the law and policy and to re-establish a trusted working relationships with the BRSP, WSP and WDFW. That only after those relationships were mended and trust restored could the topic of the closure even be reasonably broached.

The result? Complete and utter rejection of the very idea on all fronts. Opdycke would have absolutely none of it and you guys swallowed his whole us vs. them spiel hook-line-and-sinker as a frigging identity / anthem and have been parroting that party line ever since, year in, year out. It wasn't till Adam came along who was naive to the issues and history that you guys used him to make your big BRCA push with ONE, SINGULAR INTENT IN MIND to be pursued at any and all cost. The result - a completely adversarial push focused 110% on the closure. The outcome - predictable as rain in Oregon - you continually pissed off the very people who would have to say yes to any change in the closure.

And moderates - dude, like fucking dude - MODERATES??? You and your bros ARE the extreme: a) totally impervious to reason, b) unwilling to give up your victim status, c) unwilling to learn the law, policy, people, monitoring or biology. Fucking hell, you wouldn't know a frigging moderate if one fell on you.

I have faith that the committee can get some changes made, even with Jim and Healey's foul attitudes.

My foul attitude comes from a decade of dealing with you clowns and having to suffer through watching you shooting yourselves in the foot again and again and wondering why nothing changes. That, and your basic slander and lies directed my way and also from understanding that what you folks say in public and what you really believe are about as close together as the Earth and Mars - disingenuous, dishonest and not fooling a single person who matters relative to the closure.

And even in this posting here you are still starting with your unswerving and never changing position on the closure. It's always the same deal - we just have to find the right front man, the right organization, the right scientist, the right legislator, or the right committee to convince those frigging assholes just how seriously wrong they are and how incredibly unfair it all is. I.E. - nothing whatsoever has changed other than now instead of me or Adam, you have Bill on the hot seat. All the best to him given you folks haven't changed your minds, attitudes or beliefs one frigging shred and never will.

And good luck with all that, because it's going to be the same loser CC discussion over the anguish of the 2025 seasonal closure if you keep on keep on the way you have been and are going.

[ P.S. And yep, SALES AND POLITICS 101: DON'T ENDLESSLY PISS OFF THE VERY PEOPLE YOU NEED TO SAY YES - it just doesn't get simpler than that and if that's going over your head or otherwise fails to sink in then you're too fucking stupid for words. ]

Ask JH this question and you'll have to read 14 pages on politics/sales 101 before you even get a straight answer - if you get a straight answer

Actually, my answers are the only straight answers to be had here about Beacon with respect to the closure.

That's because you guys ALWAYS start with the end premise and belief that there is no legal or legitimate basis for the closure and have repeatedly attempted to bulldog your way backwards from there searching for anything and anyone to support your position - a position which has never changed from 1996 to today. And because you start with that end in mind you are constantly twisting every single aspect of any discussion of the closure to fit your incontestable and unshakable preset belief. And at every turn you've shown again and again that it's all us versus them, we're victims, they're the oppressive 'man' and that's the way it has to be. And until Bill stepped up a couple of months ago all of your actions have been adversarial and publicly dishonest with respect to what you really believe.

The point I'm getting at is that the extremes are what are really affecting this issue, and we have very few moderates speaking up (I mean seriously speaking up and getting active) who can agree that a balance is best. We need the moderates to start stepping up if we ever want to see any changes.

Seriously? I mean FUCKING SERIOUSLY? I was the moderate local who finally decided to dig into the whole closure business after a listening to a decade of endless and ceaseless whining. I did speak up and I did get active. I put on my objective journalist hat and interviewed every single human involved with the '96 closure. I started to learn the laws, policy and the biology around the peregrines and the closure. I then tried to convince the lot of you that the only way forward was to learn to monitor, learn the law and policy and to re-establish a trusted working relationships with the BRSP, WSP and WDFW. That only after those relationships were mended and trust restored could the topic of the closure even be reasonably broached.

The result? Complete and utter rejection of the very idea on all fronts. Opdycke would have absolutely none of it and you guys swallowed his whole us vs. them spiel hook-line-and-sinker as a frigging identity / anthem and have been parroting that party line ever since, year in, year out. It wasn't till Adam came along who was naive to the issues and history that you guys used him to make your big BRCA push with ONE, SINGULAR INTENT IN MIND to be pursued at any and all cost. The result - a completely adversarial push focused 110% on the closure. The outcome - predictable as rain in Oregon - you continually pissed off the very people who would have to say yes to any change in the closure.

And moderates - dude, like fucking dude - MODERATES??? You and your bros ARE the extreme: a) totally impervious to reason, b) unwilling to give up your victim status, c) unwilling to learn the law, policy, people, monitoring or biology. Fucking hell, you wouldn't know a frigging moderate if one fell on you.

I have faith that the committee can get some changes made, even with Jim and Healey's foul attitudes.

My foul attitude comes from a decade of dealing with you clowns and having to suffer through watching you shooting yourselves in the foot again and again and wondering why nothing changes. That, and your basic slander and lies directed my way and also from understanding that what you folks say in public and what you really believe are about as close together as the Earth and Mars - disingenuous, dishonest and not fooling a single person who matters relative to the closure.

And even in this posting here you are still starting with your unswerving and never changing position on the closure. It's always the same deal - we just have to find the right front man, the right organization, the right scientist, the right legislator, or the right committee to convince those frigging assholes just how seriously wrong they are and how incredibly unfair it all is. I.E. - nothing whatsoever has changed other than now instead of me or Adam, you have Bill on the hot seat. All the best to him given you folks haven't changed your minds, attitudes or beliefs one frigging shred and never will.

And good luck with all that, because it's going to be the same loser CC discussion over the anguish of the 2025 seasonal closure if you keep on keep on the way you have been and are going.

[ P.S. And yep, SALES AND POLITICS 101: DON'T ENDLESSLY PISS OFF THE VERY PEOPLE YOU NEED TO SAY YES - it just doesn't get simpler than that and if that's going over your head or otherwise fails to sink in then you're too fucking stupid for words. ]

:kisss: Settle down, baldy.. We all know you like to blowhard and get all worked up about this.. I would feel terrible if this caused you another stone that needed passing.

gonna be hanging in the drizzle most of tomorrow w/ the k-19 on stone soup - would dig on some company - where better to learn to jug, aid-climb or follow an aid-pitch - bring a lawn chair, a golf umbrella n' some mulled wine or other stimulating beverage, eh? :)

Just in case anyone needs a little light reading this evening.. And in case your chums in WA State Parks were curious about your previous conservation strategies, here's a non-slanderous update for them, courtesy of the Chicago Tribune archives, May 2nd, 1978! :lmao:

image290.jpgimage186.jpgimage291.jpgimage292.jpgimage182.jpgimage293.jpg

image294.jpgimage295.jpg

i wish i'd done something as cool as this....

Just in case anyone needs a little light reading this evening.. And in case your chums in WA State Parks were curious about your previous conservation strategies, here's a non-slanderous update for them, courtesy of the Chicago Tribune archives, May 2nd, 1978! :lmao:

image290.jpgimage186.jpgimage291.jpgimage292.jpgimage182.jpgimage293.jpg

image294.jpgimage295.jpg

i wish i'd done something as cool as this....

Does The Nose not count??

nah - nobody sets up the nose expecting to get arrested - maybe to stand in line for hours on end and stand in puddles of dried piss n' haggle w/ fucking foreigners, sure, but not have to fiddle w/ barney the tool :)

christ, i don't care who's right, really - i just am looking forward to finally spending a day tomorrow doing something adventurous....