Beacon

kevbone

What's the skinny with Beacon night climbs? I've always wanted to do a run up the corner under a full moon. Do they actually lock that gate? If so, what's the recommended descent, rap? aid around the gate, just party on grassy until morning? I assume you have to park down the road and not in the parking lot?

TIA,

-S

What's the skinny with Beacon night climbs? I've always wanted to do a run up the corner under a full moon. Do they actually lock that gate? If so, what's the recommended descent, rap? aid around the gate, just party on grassy until morning? I assume you have to park down the road and not in the parking lot?

TIA,

-S

Technically, you are supposed to register for a "bivy" but night climbing is ok. I suggest you go introduce yourself to the rangers and let them know you may be out past dark. Then, leave a note on your car to let the rangers know you are out there. Otherwise, they will assume the worse and wonder where you are. I've gotten mixed advice from the rangers in regard to parking overnight... One ranger told me it was ok to park overnight with a Discovery Pass. Another ranger left me a warning and told me to contact them when they found my car there early in the morning last summer. When I told her the Discover Pass covered the overnight parking fee, I was told it does not. Sure seems like a double dip if you are already paying for parking with the Discovery Pass... why would you need to pay an additional over night parking fee? Anywho, the best bet is to keep the rangers in the loop or park outside the park so as not to be on their radar.

TIA,

-S

In 16 years of climbing at Beacon I have seen the gate locked one time.

Aiding around the gate is not that hard. I've done it in my flip-flops.

Kevin is right, the gate is rarely ever closed, but when it is they don't want you coming down that way. If you do, be careful, it's not difficult as Plaid says, but it would suck big time if you fucked it up in the dark.

She's opening Friday morning...

Great. Never should have closed.

Refreshingly consistent, frank, honest, and sincere - people may say whatever else about you, but you are a 'Beacon' in that way and I admire and respect that about you.

And in this case I personally agree with [a version of] that; but given the closure is entirely consistent with every other AF-accepted raptor closure in the nation in scale, scope, policy, and management it just isn't going to happen on any legal or policy basis no matter what volume of whining or yelling is proffered.

Personal beliefs and feelings (yours, mine, anyone's) simply don't enter into the matter and, given your wife is an attorney who's frequently involved with government, you know that as well as anyone.

She's opening Friday morning...

Great. Never should have closed.

Refreshingly consistent, frank, honest, and sincere - people may say whatever else about you, but you are a 'Beacon' in that way and I admire and respect that about you.

And in this case I personally agree with [a version of] that; but given the closure is entirely consistent with every other AF-accepted raptor closure in the nation in scale, scope, policy, and management it just isn't going to happen on any legal or policy basis no matter what volume of whining or yelling is proffered.

Personal beliefs and feelings (yours, mine, anyone's) simply don't enter into the matter and, given your wife is an attorney who's frequently involved with government, you know that as well as anyone.

I am planning on trying to be there on Friday morning. See you there.